Title and statement of responsibility area
Village of North Edmonton fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on name of creator.
Level of description
CA EDM RG-104
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1910 - 1912 (Creation)
- Village of North Edmonton
Physical description area
19 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Located at the juncture of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway and the C.N.R. lines and encompassing the subdivisions of Belvedere, Dwyer Addition, New Delton, Belmont Park, Dwyer Subdivision, Mount Lawn, and Santa Rosa, the Village of North Edmonton was incorporated as a village on January 26, 1910. At the time of incorporation the village had a population of about 400 with the majority of the residents working at the nearby Griffin meat packing plant or in factories situated in the northern sector of the City of Edmonton. The first action of the newly constituted community was to elect a village council with T. W. Fletcher as the chairman. The Village of North Edmonton operated a hospital, a post office, and its own police force. In 1913, partly fueled by a desire to have utility services extended to North Edmonton, the area was amalgamated by the City of Edmonton.
These records were likely absorbed by the City of Edmonton when the Village of North Edmonton was amalgamated in 1912. It is assumed that they were transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives by another City department.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of materials created by the Village of North Edmonton between 1910 and 1912.
An order has been imposed on the material. The arrangement includes 9 series. The series are as follows:
- Series 1: Minutes (1910-1912)
- Series 2: Financial Records (1910-1912)
- Series 3: Correspondence (1911)
Immediate source of acquisition
These records were transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives in 1992. At the time of transfer the accession paperwork simply recorded that the material was from the Village of North Edmonton, but the acquisition source was not included.
The material was arranged by the archivist by function.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession number: A92-107
The records are quite fragile and should be handled with care.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
City of Edmonton Archives
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms