Village of North Edmonton

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Village of North Edmonton

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1910-1912

History

Located at the juncture of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway and the C.N.R. lines and encompassing the subdivisions of Belvedere, Dwyer Addition, New Delton, Belmont Park, Dwyer Subdivision, Mount Lawn, and Santa Rosa, the Village of North Edmonton was incorporated as a village on January 26, 1910. At the time of incorporation the village had a population of about 400 with the majority of the residents working at the nearby Griffin meat packing plant or in factories situated in the northern sector of the City of Edmonton. The first action of the newly constituted community was to elect a village council with T. W. Fletcher as the chairman. The Village of North Edmonton operated a hospital, a post office, and its own police force. In 1913, partly fueled by a desire to have utility services extended to North Edmonton, the area was amalgamated by the City of Edmonton.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

AR-RG-104

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places