Title and statement of responsibility area
Town of Jasper Place fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material - photograph
- Textual record - published
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on name of creator.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1906-1972; predominant 1952-1964 (Creation)
- Town of Jasper Place
Physical description area
22.26 meters of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Jasper Place was located west of Edmonton. It stretched from 149 Street in the east, to 170 Street in the west. The northern boundary was 118 Avenue, and the southern boundary was the North Saskatchewan River in the east and 53 Avenue further west.
Incorporated as the Village of West Jasper Place on December 31, 1949, the inaugural Council meeting occurred January 30, 1950. The word "West" was soon dropped from the name, and it became the Town of Jasper Place on November 6, 1950. It was one of the most rapidly expanding municipalities in Canada: in 1950 the population was 7,100, and by 1956 it had grown to 15,983.
In the early years most Town business was led by standing committees, such as the Bylaw Committee, Finance Committee, Public Works Committee, Parks Committee, Welfare Committee, and Protection of Persons and Property Committee. There were also special committees such as Public Relations, and commissions and boards with representatives from Council, such as the Board of Health, the Recreation Commission, and the Library Board.
The work itself was done by Town employees working in various departments or independent offices that reported directly to Council. Departments included the Police Department, the Fire Department, the Department of Public Works, and the Department of Public Utilities (with the later two being combined in 1958 to form the Engineering Department. Roles outside of these departments included the Secretary-Treasurer, a welfare officer, a pound-keeper, and a recreation superintendent.
Discussions around amalgamation with the City of Edmonton began as early as 1957. In 1962 a majority of residents voted to join the City of Edmonton, and the Town of Jasper Place was amalgamated on August 17, 1964. With amalgamation, the various Town departments ceased operations and their functions were absorbed by City administration.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created and collected by the Town of Jasper Place. It includes the following series:
- Series 1: Engineering Department
- Series 2: Recreation Commission
- Series 3: Office of the Secretary-Treasurer
- Series 4: Fire Department
- Series 5: Census and Enumeration
- Series 6: Council Minutes
- Series 7: Tax Assessment Records
- Series 8: Financial Records
- Series 9: Bylaws
- Series 10: The Citizen
- Series 11: The Suburban Times
- Series 12: Development
Immediate source of acquisition
This material was transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives by various departments in the City of Edmonton between 1970 and 1994. One item was also donated anonymously in 2005, and some material was removed from clippings files and repatriated to the fonds in 2016.
Some reports were assigned item numbers with the prefix GP.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some files are restricted under FOIP.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
Further accruals are expected.
Series 3 is not yet available for researchers.
Accession numbers: A67-568, A70-74, A75-24, A76-62, A78-23, A89-39, A92-106, A94-61, A2005-0, A2016-182, A2018-31, A2020-26
This fonds also contains 379 photographs, 12 cm of published material, 1 postcard, and 1 poster.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
- Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
- Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms