Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Town of Jasper Place
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
1950 - 1964
Jasper Place was located west of Edmonton. It stretched from 149 Street in the east, to 170 Street in the west. The northern boundary was 118 Avenue, and the southern boundary was the North Saskatchewan River in the east and 53 Avenue further west.
Incorporated as the Village of West Jasper Place on December 31, 1949, the inaugural Council meeting occurred January 30, 1950. The word "West" was soon dropped from the name, and it became the Town of Jasper Place on November 6, 1950. It was one of the most rapidly expanding municipalities in Canada: in 1950 the population was 7,100, and by 1956 it had grown to 15,983.
In the early years most Town business was led by standing committees, such as the Bylaw Committee, Finance Committee, Public Works Committee, Parks Committee, Welfare Committee, and Protection of Persons and Property Committee. There were also special committees such as Public Relations, and commissions and boards with representatives from Council, such as the Board of Health, the Recreation Commission, and the Library Board.
The work itself was done by Town employees working in various departments or independent offices that reported directly to Council. Departments included the Police Department, the Fire Department, the Department of Public Works, and the Department of Public Utilities (with the later two being combined in 1958 to form the Engineering Department. Roles outside of these departments included the Secretary-Treasurer, a welfare officer, a pound-keeper, and a recreation superintendent.
Discussions around amalgamation with the City of Edmonton began as early as 1957. In 1962 a majority of residents voted to join the City of Edmonton, and the Town of Jasper Place was amalgamated on August 17, 1964. With amalgamation, the various Town departments ceased operations and their functions were absorbed by City administration.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
City of Edmonton Archives
Rules and/or conventions used