Title and statement of responsibility area
Scrapbook 1 - volume 2a
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material - photograph
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of file.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1970] (Creation)
Physical description area
3.5 cm textual records. - 47 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The scrapbook-cum-manuscript 'The First Fifty Years' was originally compiled by Mary Wankel Dornan and Mae Bedard Green, likely in the 1970's. An epilogue was added in 1983.
During the conservation rehousing of the two binders of the manuscript, it was noticed that many scrapbook pages were numbered, however the pages were not in numerical order within the scrapbook.
It is likely that, at the time the epilogue was added, Mary re-arranged the order of the pages in the manuscript as well as added more material. The manuscript likely started as one binder, and at this time grew into two.
The pages in the manuscript were left in the order in which it was found, and maintained as two volumes.
Scope and content
The file consists of volume 2 of the scrapbook 'The First Fifty Years: A Pictorial Review of the origin of the Parish of St. Anthony of Padua and the contributions made by the pioneers, both for the Church and in the Community'.
The scrapbook was compiled by Mary Wankel Dornan and Mae Bedard Green, and includes reminiscences on early Edmonton as well as family and community histories.
The scrapbook includes photographs EB-40-57 to EB-40-103.
The writings in this volume cover the following subjects or topics:
- The O'Brien Family (Maurice O'Brien, Fred O'Brien, Steve O'Brien, Jim O'Brien, Fanny O'Brien Moreau, Josephine O'Brien Spicer, Bridget Bibby, Agnes O'Brien O'Donnell, Nell O'Brien Connelly, Mary O'Brien McGuinness)
- Mr & Mrs Alois Dittrick, Zelie Fontaine, Regina Bilodeau
- Last Meeting of Strathcona Council Before Amalgamation 1912
- Brother Anthony Kowalczyk, OMI
- College St. Jean (Leo Bartley, Albert Goyer, Aime Goyer, Henry Roth, Thomas Carrigan)
- Mr. & Mrs O'Brien and Family (Dennis O'Brien, Winnie Cahill O'Brien, Nancy O'Brien, Rev 'Bert' O'Brien, Rev. John Legge)
- (likely) St. Anthony's Parish 1917, 1923, 1925, 1927, 1926
- Faith Today - Father John Spicer (Josephine O'Brien, Dolly Mayall, Mr & Mrs Diebolt, A.J. Crowe)
- Sir Austin O'Brien, Knight of St. Anthony, and Lady O'Brien
- Dr. Joseph O'Brien
- Mr & Mrs J.J. Murray, Justina Murray
- In Our Merry Oldsmobile
- Here and There
- Ross' Hardware
- My Father's First Car
- Victoria Moreau Pilon (Bishop Grandin, Father Lacombe, Bishop Legal)
- Mary Wankel
- New School and first teachers (Mother Margaret, Ambrose O'Neil, Florence Esch, Sister Patrick, Mary Wankel, Catherine Carrigan)
- Reading, Writing and Arithmetic (Mary Wankel Dornan's early teaching career)
- The Spanish 'Flu, 1918
- The Coal Mine Explosion, 1907
- McKernan Lake and Whitemud Creek
- Edmonton Journal Bicycle Race 1919 (winner Dan Carrigan)
- South Side Athletic Grounds and Swimming Pool (John Michaels, Mrs. Michaels, Josephine Carrigan, Billy Bedard, Bernard Allen, Babe McLean, Jack Duggan, Dolly Mayall, Zephir Moreau, Fanny O'Brien Moreau)
- Mount Carmel School, 1925 (Ed Carrigan, Catherine Carrigan, Father Carleton)
- St. Anthony's Raquette Club (Vi Fitzgerald, Bernardine O'Connell, Mae Allen, Catherine Carrigan, Blanche Moher, Mamie Wankel, Helen McGuiness, Theresa Carragher, FCJ Sisters, Trimuse Club of St. Joseph's, Heart Club of Sacred Heart, St. Al's from St. Alsphonsus, Jack Dornan, Barney Tansey, John McLean, Tom Carrigan, Ed Dornan, Maudie Walsh, Catherine Carrigan, Bernardine O'Connell, Luella Roth, Pearl Moher, Laura Tansey, Mae Bedard, Rose Pollard, Edna Bedard)
- St. Anthony's Choir (Mrs. Jackson, Miss Slaboda, Victoria Moreau, Mr. Hassan, Madam Coupez, Mary Wankel Dornan, Ruthr Lavallee, Mr Nonn, Lou Peverelle, Mr Schmidt, Johnny Brown, Miss Peverelle, Helen Loughlin, Mrs Carr, Alfred McLean, Jim Smith, John Smith, Louis Naubert)
- 3rd Edmonton Company Girl Guides (Mary Wankel Dornan, Stella McAnally)
- Hay Ride
- 3rd Street Separate High (Laurette Carrigan, Adeline Devereau, John McLean, Mary Murray, Mabel Bard, Louella Roth, Dolly Mayall, Theresa Fraser, Alice McLean, Peg Carrigan, Grace Bard, Kathleen Moher, Mae Allen, Blanche Moher, Margery McKenna, Della McDonough)
- Stan Moher
- Josephine McAuley Lavallee (Mrs. Patrick McAuley, Mary Lavallee, Ruth Lavallee, Margaret Lavallee)
- The Vaugeois Family (Alfred Vaugeois, Bernadette Brouillette Vaugeois, Alex Vaugeois, Jack Chisholm, Dan McDougall, Ralph Pratt, Alice Vaugeois, Germaine Vaugeois, Angela Vaugeois, Florence Vaugeois, Leona Vaugeois, Anne Vaugeois, Helen Vaugeois, Henry Vaugeois)
- Arthur & Ida Cary
- Peter Biollo & Dolly Mae Casell Biollo
- The Catholic Women's League (Mrs Samuel Gorman, Katherine Hughes, L'Abbe Casgrain, Mrs T.P. Malone, Mrs J. Morkin, Mrs Lavallee, Mrs Boucher, Mrs Loughlin, Mrs Bard, Mrs Fraser, Mrs Underwood)
- Catholic Business Girls' Club (Mrs Duggan)
- The Altar Society (Mrs. Wankel)
- Emile Pilon & Victoria Moreau Pilon (Father LaRose, Mr W.J. Chisholm, Cardinal Leger, Cecile Leonard)
- The Blackburn Family (Adrien Blackburn, Antionette Labonte Blackburn, Marcel Blackburn, Maurice Blackburn, Adrinne Blackburn, Jeanette Blackburn, Cecile Blackburn, Gerry Blackburn, Jerome Blackburn, Frank Blackburn)
- Ursuline Convent (Mother Anne-Celine O'Keefe, Mother Gabriel, Sister Adelina, Mother Augustine, Sr. Mary Margaret, Sr. Agnes, Sr. Patrick, Sr. Lelia, Sr. Angela, Sr. St. John, Sr. Celine Marie, Sr. Sebastian, Sr. Vincent Mary, Sr. Mary St. Peter, Sr. Marie Leo, Sr. Mary Felicity, Sr. Scholastica, Sr. Helen, Sr. Rose, Sr. Mary St. Anne, Sr. Alphonse Joseph, Sr. St. Charles, Sr. Helena Valentine, Sr. Joanne, Sr. Marguerita, Mother Ursul, Mother Fidelmia Joseph, Sr. Catherine, Sr. Florence, Sr. Mary Clare, Sr. Geraldine, Sr. Francis Joseph, Sr. Francoise)
- Dances (Raquette Club, Trimuse Tennis Club)
- Varsity Tuck Shop and George Dame
- Mr. Wankel and Friends (Mary Lavallee, Marie Pollard, Ruth Lavallee, Margaret Lavallee, Florence Bedard, Frances Bedard)
- A Tribute To My Mother (Mrs. E. Wankel)
- The Loughlin Family & Residence (Mr & Mrs Andrew P. Loughlin, Helen Loughlin, Frank Loughlin, Joe Loughlin)
Immediate source of acquisition
The file was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Dennis Dornan in 1999.
The material was arranged according to the filing system of the creator.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
This scrapbook - volume 2 was originally on magnetic pages in a deteriorating binder (binder 2 of 2). To preserve the material but replicate the scrapbook, the material was rehoused in mylar sleeves with white archival paper interleaved in each sleeve, with Chicago posts binding, coroplast backing, and folderstock front cover. The identical placement of the material and order in which it was found was maintained.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms