Fonds MS-503 - Ross Brothers Hardware & Plumbing fonds

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ross Brothers Hardware & Plumbing fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Object

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on name of creator.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA EDM MS-503

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

50 cm of textual records. - 1 object

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1983 - 1960)

Administrative history

In 1883, James and Frederick Ross established the first general hardware store in Edmonton. In 1884, the brothers built a store which was located on Jasper Avenue and 98 Street. Owing to the historical significance of the building and the fact that James Ross was an alderman on the Edmonton Town Council for three terms, the original building was relocated to Fort Edmonton Park.

In 1912, the Ross Brothers sold their store to Marshall-Wells Alberta Company. When the Marshall-Wells Alberta Company dissolved in 1960, the hardware store was also closed.

Custodial history

Marjorie Ross was the widow of Charles Ross, the son of James Ross.
It is not known how Tannis J. Betts acquired the records.
Larry G. Yasayko’s father, Nick Spachinsky, bought the Ross Brothers store in 1912.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of memorabilia of the Ross family, including a marriage announcement, certificates, a button, and newspaper clippings. Also included are the records of the Ross Brothers store, which consist of account and receipts books.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Marjorie Ross in 1986 and 1987, by Tannis J. Betts in 1995, and by Larry G. Yasayko in 2008.

Arrangement

The material was arranged according to the order in which it was received.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright may apply.

Finding aids

Finding aid available online.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Accession numbers: A86-88, A87-178, A95-12, A2008-68

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres