Plaques

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Plaques

Equivalent terms

Plaques

Associated terms

Plaques

183 Archival description results for Plaques

183 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Y.M.C.A. - Plaque & Cornerstone

10030 - 102A Avenue.
The cornerstone of Edmonton's original YMCA was laid on July 1, 1907 by Mrs. G.H.V. Bulyea, the wife of Alberta's first Lieutenant Governor. The completed building, which was officially opened on February 6, 1908, saw Edmonton's YMCA become another valuable link in the growth of the worldwide Young Men's Christian Association. In 1951, a new YMCA building was erected on an adjacent lot and was expanded in 1961.
Throughout this century the YMCA of Edmonton has consistently served the citizens of Edmonton and district with high quality physical, spiritual and social programs. The "Y" also provides shelter and friendship to the traveling public.

Stutchbury Memorial

Located south of Borden Park. The memorial was erected by the Alberta Safety Council, the Edmonton Kimwanis Club and the City Archives & Landmarks Committee.

Howard Stutchbury arrived in Edmonton in 1902 and shortly afterwards became prominent in business and public service. In 1915 he was appointed secretary-manager of the Alberta Returned Soldiers' Commission. Five years later he was made the Alberta Trade Commissioner, a position he held until the office was abolished in 1936. He then became the secretary of the Edmonton Safety Council, and in 1955 he was appointed the Director of the Alberta Safety Council. Mr. Stutchbury was prominent in music circles and, in association with Vernon Barford, he founded the Alberta Music Festival in 1908. He was a lifetime member of the Canadian Manufacturers Association and was chairman of the Alberta and Edmonton branches. He was also an honorary president of the Canadian Legion and Lieutenant-Governor of the Tuxis Parliament of Alberta.

See MS-137.

Results 1 to 10 of 183