Série 17.0 - Planchecker's Files

Open original Objeto digital

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

Planchecker's Files

Designação geral do material

  • Desenho arquitetónico

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título e menções de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

  • Fonte do título próprio: Title based on name of creator.

Nível de descrição

Série

Entidade detentora

Código de referência

CA EDM RG-17-17.0

Zona de edição

Menção de edição

Menção de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Menção da escala (cartográfica)

Menção da projecção (cartográfica)

Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)

Menção da escala (arquitectura)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação

Data(s)

  • 1908 - 1972, predominant 1911 - 1966 (Produção)
    Produtor
    City Architect and Building Inspector's Department

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

12,326 architectural drawings

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título próprio do recurso continuado

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor

(1909-1970)

História administrativa

The Department for the Inspection of Buildings was established in 1909 by Bylaw 207. Prior to this the City employed a Building and Fire Inspector and a Plumbing Inspector, but they did not operate independently, and were likely part of the Engineer’s Department.

The Department for the Inspection of Buildings was responsible for the enforcement of building codes; providing building permits; the survey and inspection of buildings, scaffolding, and building sites; recording complaints made to the office; and the protection of buildings against fires and accident.

When it was established in 1909 the Department for the Inspection of Buildings was led the Inspector of Buildings. This position led the department until 1926, when building inspector Norman A. McIvor died while in office and was replaced by John Martland. Martland had been employed as the architect with the Engineer’s Department. In accepting the new position he was expected to continue his previous duties as well as fulfill those of the building inspector. It was at this time that the department became the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department, and the head became the City Architect and Building Inspector.

As of 1931, this department was responsible for providing plumbing permits, gas permits, moving permits, curb pump permits, and sign permits in addition to building permits. The department was also responsible for janitorial work at City buildings, and operation of the elevator at Civic Block.

By the 1950s the department’s responsibilities had grown. In 1952 the mandate of the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department was to provide architectural services for City buildings, approve building plans and issue permits, issue overhead sign permits, conduct inspections on construction to ensure City building code was being followed, conduct exams for trades certificates (but not for electricians), make recommendations concerning construction bylaws, the maintenance of civic buildings (except utilities and engineering departments) and provide mail service to City offices.

In 1957 the department took over responsibility for construction of all new City buildings. The department also worked with the Architectural Panel (established in 1950) to approve the construction of certain buildings.

By 1959 the internal structure had been simplified to only four sections: Accounting; Building Maintenance (which included a mail and security section); the Assistant City Architect; and an Inspection Division for building plans, construction, plumbing and heating.

By 1965, the department was headed by the City Architect and divided into three divisions: Architectural Design, Building Inspection, and Building Maintenance. The Architectural Design Division provided architectural services and advice to civic departments on construction projects. The Building Inspection Division inspected and controlled the construction of buildings and structures erected within city limits. The Building Maintenance Division provided and maintained working facilities for City staff in various City-owned buildings. This division also supervised janitorial staff, maintenance and carried out building alterations.

The Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department was dissolved in 1970. The successors to the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department were the Planning Department (Building Inspection Branch) and the Property and Building Management Department (Architecture Branch, Maintenance, and Edmonton Community Housing Organization).

História custodial

The plans from the Town of Beverly were transferred to the City of Edmonton when Beverly was amalgamated.

Âmbito e conteúdo

This series contains building plans submitted to the City of Edmonton to the Town of Beverly as required to receive a building permit.

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

This material was transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives in 1972.

Organização

Idioma do material

  • inglês

Script do material

Localização de originais

Disponibilidade de outros formatos

Restrições de acesso

There are no restrictions on access.

Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação

Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Instrumentos de descrição

File list available online.

Materiais associados

Ingressos adicionais

Further accruals are expected.

Nota geral

The plans in this series are identified by an MP, followed by the year of issue, followed by the permit number. The full MP number is required to request a set of plans.

Nota geral

Plans with the letter B in the number were submitted to the Town of Beverly prior to annexation. Plans with the letter S in the number are for signs.

Nota geral

Although the City of Edmonton Archives has several thousand building plans, the City did not keep all plans that were submitted.

Nota geral

If you do not find plans for your building please see the reference archivist.

Nota geral

Plans from 1978 or later may be in the custody of the Sustainable Development.

Nota geral

Accession number: A72-18

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Zona do número normalizado

Número normalizado

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo

Descrição do identificador do registo

Identificador da instituição

City of Edmonton Archives

Regras ou convenções

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms

Estatuto

Final

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Idioma da descrição

Script da descrição

Fontes

Objeto digital (Matriz) zona de direitos

Objeto digital (Referência) zona de direitos

Objeto digital (Ícone) zona de direitos

Zona da incorporação

Assuntos relacionados

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Locais relacionados

Géneros relacionados

Depósito físico

  • Caixa: RG Room
  • Prateleira: West B
  • Mapoteca: Alcove