Title and statement of responsibility area
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Bouwkundige tekening
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on name of creator.
CA EDM RG-17-17.0
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1908 - 1972, predominant 1911 - 1966 (Vervaardig)
- City Architect and Building Inspector's Department
12,326 architectural drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
The Department for the Inspection of Buildings was established in 1909 by Bylaw 207. Prior to this the City employed a Building and Fire Inspector and a Plumbing Inspector, but they did not operate independently, and were likely part of the Engineer’s Department.
The Department for the Inspection of Buildings was responsible for the enforcement of building codes; providing building permits; the survey and inspection of buildings, scaffolding, and building sites; recording complaints made to the office; and the protection of buildings against fires and accident.
When it was established in 1909 the Department for the Inspection of Buildings was led the Inspector of Buildings. This position led the department until 1926, when building inspector Norman A. McIvor died while in office and was replaced by John Martland. Martland had been employed as the architect with the Engineer’s Department. In accepting the new position he was expected to continue his previous duties as well as fulfill those of the building inspector. It was at this time that the department became the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department, and the head became the City Architect and Building Inspector.
As of 1931, this department was responsible for providing plumbing permits, gas permits, moving permits, curb pump permits, and sign permits in addition to building permits. The department was also responsible for janitorial work at City buildings, and operation of the elevator at Civic Block.
By the 1950s the department’s responsibilities had grown. In 1952 the mandate of the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department was to provide architectural services for City buildings, approve building plans and issue permits, issue overhead sign permits, conduct inspections on construction to ensure City building code was being followed, conduct exams for trades certificates (but not for electricians), make recommendations concerning construction bylaws, the maintenance of civic buildings (except utilities and engineering departments) and provide mail service to City offices.
In 1957 the department took over responsibility for construction of all new City buildings. The department also worked with the Architectural Panel (established in 1950) to approve the construction of certain buildings.
By 1959 the internal structure had been simplified to only four sections: Accounting; Building Maintenance (which included a mail and security section); the Assistant City Architect; and an Inspection Division for building plans, construction, plumbing and heating.
By 1965, the department was headed by the City Architect and divided into three divisions: Architectural Design, Building Inspection, and Building Maintenance. The Architectural Design Division provided architectural services and advice to civic departments on construction projects. The Building Inspection Division inspected and controlled the construction of buildings and structures erected within city limits. The Building Maintenance Division provided and maintained working facilities for City staff in various City-owned buildings. This division also supervised janitorial staff, maintenance and carried out building alterations.
The Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department was dissolved in 1970. The successors to the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department were the Planning Department (Building Inspection Branch) and the Property and Building Management Department (Architecture Branch, Maintenance, and Edmonton Community Housing Organization).
The plans from the Town of Beverly were transferred to the City of Edmonton when Beverly was amalgamated.
Bereik en inhoud
This series contains building plans submitted to the City of Edmonton to the Town of Beverly as required to receive a building permit.
Directe bron van verwerving
This material was transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives in 1972.
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
File list available online.
Further accruals are expected.
The plans in this series are identified by an MP, followed by the year of issue, followed by the permit number. The full MP number is required to request a set of plans.
Plans with the letter B in the number were submitted to the Town of Beverly prior to annexation. Plans with the letter S in the number are for signs.
Although the City of Edmonton Archives has several thousand building plans, the City did not keep all plans that were submitted.
If you do not find plans for your building please see the reference archivist.
Plans from 1978 or later may be in the custody of the Sustainable Development.
Accession number: A72-18
Standard number area
Genre access points
Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord
Identificatiecode van de instelling
City of Edmonton Archives
Regels of conventies
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms
Niveau van detaillering
Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering
Taal van de beschrijving
Schrift van de beschrijving
Digitaal object metadata