Série 17.0 - Planchecker's Files

Open original Document numérique

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Planchecker's Files

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Dessin d'architecture

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on name of creator.

Niveau de description

Série

Cote

CA EDM RG-17-17.0

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1908 - 1972, predominant 1911 - 1966 (Production)
    Producteur
    City Architect and Building Inspector's Department

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

12,326 architectural drawings

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1909-1970)

Histoire administrative

The Department for the Inspection of Buildings was established in 1909 by Bylaw 207. Prior to this the City employed a Building and Fire Inspector and a Plumbing Inspector, but they did not operate independently, and were likely part of the Engineer’s Department.

The Department for the Inspection of Buildings was responsible for the enforcement of building codes; providing building permits; the survey and inspection of buildings, scaffolding, and building sites; recording complaints made to the office; and the protection of buildings against fires and accident.

When it was established in 1909 the Department for the Inspection of Buildings was led the Inspector of Buildings. This position led the department until 1926, when building inspector Norman A. McIvor died while in office and was replaced by John Martland. Martland had been employed as the architect with the Engineer’s Department. In accepting the new position he was expected to continue his previous duties as well as fulfill those of the building inspector. It was at this time that the department became the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department, and the head became the City Architect and Building Inspector.

As of 1931, this department was responsible for providing plumbing permits, gas permits, moving permits, curb pump permits, and sign permits in addition to building permits. The department was also responsible for janitorial work at City buildings, and operation of the elevator at Civic Block.

By the 1950s the department’s responsibilities had grown. In 1952 the mandate of the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department was to provide architectural services for City buildings, approve building plans and issue permits, issue overhead sign permits, conduct inspections on construction to ensure City building code was being followed, conduct exams for trades certificates (but not for electricians), make recommendations concerning construction bylaws, the maintenance of civic buildings (except utilities and engineering departments) and provide mail service to City offices.

In 1957 the department took over responsibility for construction of all new City buildings. The department also worked with the Architectural Panel (established in 1950) to approve the construction of certain buildings.

By 1959 the internal structure had been simplified to only four sections: Accounting; Building Maintenance (which included a mail and security section); the Assistant City Architect; and an Inspection Division for building plans, construction, plumbing and heating.

By 1965, the department was headed by the City Architect and divided into three divisions: Architectural Design, Building Inspection, and Building Maintenance. The Architectural Design Division provided architectural services and advice to civic departments on construction projects. The Building Inspection Division inspected and controlled the construction of buildings and structures erected within city limits. The Building Maintenance Division provided and maintained working facilities for City staff in various City-owned buildings. This division also supervised janitorial staff, maintenance and carried out building alterations.

The Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department was dissolved in 1970. The successors to the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department were the Planning Department (Building Inspection Branch) and the Property and Building Management Department (Architecture Branch, Maintenance, and Edmonton Community Housing Organization).

Historique de la conservation

The plans from the Town of Beverly were transferred to the City of Edmonton when Beverly was amalgamated.

Portée et contenu

This series contains building plans submitted to the City of Edmonton to the Town of Beverly as required to receive a building permit.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

This material was transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives in 1972.

Classement

Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

There are no restrictions on access.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Instruments de recherche

File list available online.

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Further accruals are expected.

Note générale

The plans in this series are identified by an MP, followed by the year of issue, followed by the permit number. The full MP number is required to request a set of plans.

Note générale

Plans with the letter B in the number were submitted to the Town of Beverly prior to annexation. Plans with the letter S in the number are for signs.

Note générale

Although the City of Edmonton Archives has several thousand building plans, the City did not keep all plans that were submitted.

Note générale

If you do not find plans for your building please see the reference archivist.

Note générale

Plans from 1978 or later may be in the custody of the Sustainable Development.

Note générale

Accession number: A72-18

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

City of Edmonton Archives

Règles ou conventions

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms

Statut

Final

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Document numérique (Matrice) zone des droits

Document numérique (Référence) zone des droits

Document numérique (Vignette) zone des droits

Zone des entrées

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés

Localisation physique

  • Boîte: RG Room
  • Tablette: West B
  • Classeur à plan: Alcove