Serie 17.0 - Planchecker's Files

Open original Objeto digital

Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad

Título apropiado

Planchecker's Files

Tipo general de material

  • Dibujo arquitectónico

Título paralelo

Otra información de título

Título declaración de responsabilidad

Título notas

  • Fuente del título: Title based on name of creator.

Nivel de descripción

Serie

Institución archivística

Código de referencia

CA EDM RG-17-17.0

Área de edición

Declaración de edición

Declaración de responsabilidad de edición

Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material

Mención de la escala (cartográfica)

Mención de proyección (cartográfica)

Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)

Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)

Área de fechas de creación

Fecha(s)

  • 1908 - 1972, predominant 1911 - 1966 (Creación)
    Creador
    City Architect and Building Inspector's Department

Área de descripción física

Descripción física

12,326 architectural drawings

Área de series editoriales

Título apropiado de las series del editor

Títulos paralelos de serie editorial

Otra información de título de las series editoriales

Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales

Numeración dentro de la serie editorial

Nota en las series editoriales

Área de descripción del archivo

Nombre del productor

(1909-1970)

Historia administrativa

The Department for the Inspection of Buildings was established in 1909 by Bylaw 207. Prior to this the City employed a Building and Fire Inspector and a Plumbing Inspector, but they did not operate independently, and were likely part of the Engineer’s Department.

The Department for the Inspection of Buildings was responsible for the enforcement of building codes; providing building permits; the survey and inspection of buildings, scaffolding, and building sites; recording complaints made to the office; and the protection of buildings against fires and accident.

When it was established in 1909 the Department for the Inspection of Buildings was led the Inspector of Buildings. This position led the department until 1926, when building inspector Norman A. McIvor died while in office and was replaced by John Martland. Martland had been employed as the architect with the Engineer’s Department. In accepting the new position he was expected to continue his previous duties as well as fulfill those of the building inspector. It was at this time that the department became the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department, and the head became the City Architect and Building Inspector.

As of 1931, this department was responsible for providing plumbing permits, gas permits, moving permits, curb pump permits, and sign permits in addition to building permits. The department was also responsible for janitorial work at City buildings, and operation of the elevator at Civic Block.

By the 1950s the department’s responsibilities had grown. In 1952 the mandate of the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department was to provide architectural services for City buildings, approve building plans and issue permits, issue overhead sign permits, conduct inspections on construction to ensure City building code was being followed, conduct exams for trades certificates (but not for electricians), make recommendations concerning construction bylaws, the maintenance of civic buildings (except utilities and engineering departments) and provide mail service to City offices.

In 1957 the department took over responsibility for construction of all new City buildings. The department also worked with the Architectural Panel (established in 1950) to approve the construction of certain buildings.

By 1959 the internal structure had been simplified to only four sections: Accounting; Building Maintenance (which included a mail and security section); the Assistant City Architect; and an Inspection Division for building plans, construction, plumbing and heating.

By 1965, the department was headed by the City Architect and divided into three divisions: Architectural Design, Building Inspection, and Building Maintenance. The Architectural Design Division provided architectural services and advice to civic departments on construction projects. The Building Inspection Division inspected and controlled the construction of buildings and structures erected within city limits. The Building Maintenance Division provided and maintained working facilities for City staff in various City-owned buildings. This division also supervised janitorial staff, maintenance and carried out building alterations.

The Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department was dissolved in 1970. The successors to the Architect’s and Building Inspector’s Department were the Planning Department (Building Inspection Branch) and the Property and Building Management Department (Architecture Branch, Maintenance, and Edmonton Community Housing Organization).

Historial de custodia

The plans from the Town of Beverly were transferred to the City of Edmonton when Beverly was amalgamated.

Alcance y contenido

This series contains building plans submitted to the City of Edmonton to the Town of Beverly as required to receive a building permit.

Área de notas

Condiciones físicas

Origen del ingreso

This material was transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives in 1972.

Arreglo

Idioma del material

  • inglés

Escritura del material

Ubicación de los originales

Disponibilidad de otros formatos

Restricciones de acceso

There are no restrictions on access.

Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación

Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Instrumentos de descripción

File list available online.

Materiales asociados

Acumulaciones

Further accruals are expected.

Nota general

The plans in this series are identified by an MP, followed by the year of issue, followed by the permit number. The full MP number is required to request a set of plans.

Nota general

Plans with the letter B in the number were submitted to the Town of Beverly prior to annexation. Plans with the letter S in the number are for signs.

Nota general

Although the City of Edmonton Archives has several thousand building plans, the City did not keep all plans that were submitted.

Nota general

If you do not find plans for your building please see the reference archivist.

Nota general

Plans from 1978 or later may be in the custody of the Sustainable Development.

Nota general

Accession number: A72-18

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Área de número estándar

Número estándar

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control

Identificador de registro de descripción

Identificador de la institución

City of Edmonton Archives

Reglas o convenciones

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms

Estado de elaboración

Final

Nivel de detalle

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Idioma de descripción

Escritura de la descripción

Fuentes

Objeto digital (Ejemplar original), área de permisos

Objeto digital (Referencia), área de permisos

Objeto digital (Miniatura), área de permisos

Área de Ingreso

Materias relacionadas

Personas y organizaciones relacionadas

Lugares relacionados

Tipos relacionados

Unidad de almacenaje

  • Caja: RG Room
  • Estantería: West B
  • Planero: Alcove