Parkland County

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Parkland County

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

When it was first surveyed for homesteads, the land that is now Parkland County was comprised of four townships, known as Small Improvement Districts. There were replaced in 1913 by Local Improvement Districts (LID), with the eastern portion of the current Parkland County known as LID Number 519. In 1942 LID 519 was amalgamated with LID 521 and the Municipal District of Tomahawk Number 521 to form the Municipal District of Stony Plain No. 520. In 1969 the Municipal District of Stony Plain was combined with the Stony Plain School Division to form the County of Parkland No. 31.

Today Parkland County encompasses territory from the eastern bank of the Pembina River (west of Entwistle, AB) to the City Limits of Edmonton east of highway 60, and north to south from approximately Highway 533 to the north bank of the North Saskatchewan River. In the 1960s and early 1980s Edmonton’s growth resulted in the periodic annexation of land including from Parkland County.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

AR-RG-106

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places