Collection MS-788 - Oblate Archives collection

Fort Edmonton Hudson's Bay Co. Fort, Edmonton, Alta Hudson's Bay Fort, Edmonton, Alta. Edmonton Area Fort Edmonton Looking Northwest Fort Edmonton from the Southwest Hudson's Bay Fort John Walter's Mill Waiting for the Ferry Ferry Crossing the North Saskatchewan River
Results 1 to 10 of 11 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Oblate Archives collection

General material designation

  • Graphic material - photograph

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on name of creator.

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA EDM MS-788

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1886-1910] (Creation)
    Creator
    Oblate Archives

Physical description area

Physical description

11 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1973-current)

Administrative history

The Oblate Archives holds the records from the Missionary Oblates in Alberta. The Missionary Oblates is a Roman Catholic Congregation of men founded in France by Eugene de Mazenod in 1815. The Oblate Missionaries began to arrive in Canada in 1842; by 1861 they built a chapel in Fort Edmonton and established a mission community of St. Albert.
The Oblate Archives was established when the Missionary Oblates of Alberta-Saskatchewan entered into an agreement with the Provincial Archives of Alberta (PAA) in 1973. While the Oblates retained ownership and control over their records, the material is processed, described and accessible through the PAA.

Custodial history

Father Emile Tardiff was the historian of the Oblate Archives at the time of donation.

Scope and content

The collection consists of records donated by the Oblate Archives as the records better serve the mandate of the City of Edmonton Archives. It consists of photographs of early Edmonton, including Fort Edmonton, the North Saskatchewan River and John Walter’s Mill.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This collection was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Father Tardiff in 1968.

Arrangement

See ‘Scope and Content’ above.
The photographs were arranged in no particular order and assigned item number(s) with the prefix EA-48.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Finding aids

See ‘Scope and Content’ above.
Photographs have been described at the item level and are available in the City of Edmonton Archives Reference Room.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Accession numbers: A68-117A

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: Library