Item EA-792-286 - Margaret Martin Residence

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Margaret Martin Residence

General material designation

  • Graphic material - photograph

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of image.

Level of description

Item

Reference code

CA EDM RG-21-2-3-EA-792-286

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 2006 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph : tiff

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

8324 - 106 Street.
Margaret Martin, a widow, owned a 320-acre farm on this site at the turn of the 20th century. In 1899 Margaret and her husband, David, left their North Dakota home to settle in the Canadian North West. David set off with livestock and farm machinery in April to secure the land, and Margaret followed in July with their eleven children. Sadly, one small daughter died of pneumonia shortly after they arrived. Eighteen months later, David died of the same illness. The family buried both loved ones on their farm, at what is now Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
Margaret commissioned the architectural firm of Magoon, Hopkins and James to design this Foursquare, Prairie-style home in 1907. The firm later became Magoon and MacDonald Associates that built the Metals Building, Tegler Building, McDougall United Church, Salvation Army Citadel, St. Stephen's College, and other Edmonton landmarks.
The Martin family moved into what was then 18 Second Street West, Strathcona, the only house on the west side of the street until 1910. The remaining area of Martin Estates, the name given to the newly subdivided farmland, eventually became the communities of Pleasantview and Parkallen.
Margaret died in 1940, leaving the home in her daughter Edith’s care. The Martin children created their own legacy in Edmonton. Grace Martin McEachern became a well known school teacher. Helen Martin married Cecil Rutherford, the only son of Alberta's first premier, A.C. Rutherford. David Quincy Martin worked for thirty years with the Alberta Liquor Control Board after marrying Lova Shaw, daughter of H.V. Shaw, proprietor of Edmonton Cigar Factory.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

  • Copyright held by City of Edmonton.
  • Reproduction restrictions may apply.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Photographer: unknown

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

City of Edmonton Archives

Rules or conventions

  • Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
  • Thesaurus for Graphic Materials (TGM)

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres