Title and statement of responsibility area
Les Soeurs de l'Assomption de la Sainte Vierge fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material - photograph
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1926 - 1974 (Creation)
- Les Soeurs de l’Assomption de la Sainte Vierge
Physical description area
1 cm of textual records. - 8 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Les Soeurs de l’Assomption la Sainte Vierge was founded in the parish of Grégoire-de-Nicolet, Quebec in 1853. In 1891 the order began to offer educational opportunities at boarding convent and day schools in St. Paul, Bonnyville, Maillaig, LaCorey, St. Vincent, Brosseau, and Lafond. In Edmonton they were known for the Assumption Academy, which offered a bilingual education to Edmonton girls from 1928 to 1972.
Sister Flore Houde was a member of Les Soeurs de l’Assomption de la Sainte Vierge.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of a copy of "Courrier-Sud", Sept. 5, 1972, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the order's presence at Nicolet, Quebec, a copy of "Le Franco-Albertain”, Oct. 10, 1973, which contains an article on the Lamoureux family, and a dedication booklet of "La Congregation Des Souers de l'Assomption de la Sainte Vierge", 1974.
The photographs include Assumption Academy, convent and chapel at St. Joachim, Ecole Sacre Coure, Immaculate Conception church and rectory, and sisters with children at Hobbema.
Immediate source of acquisition
This collection was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Sister Flore Houde in 1975 and 1980.
The material was arranged according to the filing system of the creator.
The photographs were assigned item numbers with the prefix EA-410.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
See Scope and content above.
Photographs have been described at the item level; some are available on the online database, with the remainder available in the Reference Room.
Soeurs de l’Assomption de la Sainte Vierge fonds (PR0077) at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A75-3, A80-93
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms