Title and statement of responsibility area
John William Clutton fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Clutton, John William
Physical description area
1 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
John William Clutton was born on 26 Feb 1849 in Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England to Elizabeth Ward and William Clutton. He married Jane Sarah Dodd on 12 Mar 1878 in Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England. Jane and John Clutton went on to have seven children (Millie, Mildred, Frederick, Charles, Mary, Harold, Katherine and Jennie). The family came to Edmonton in 1892 to homestead in the Beaumont area. Clutton received a patent for SE of section 24, twp 50, range 24 W of 4th meridian.
Their eighth child, Jennie, was born in Beaumont in 1894. That same year, his wife Jane died. In 1906, John married Mary Walder.
John William Clutton also ran a butcher's shop on Jasper Avenue for some years. He farmed his homestead until retiring to Edmonton in 1927. John William Clutton died 24 May 1936 and is buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Edmonton.
Clutton’s daughter Katherine married George Basnett.
It is not known how Mrs. H. Siemens acquired the records, however, George Basnett, husband of Katherine Clutton Basnett, wrote to Dr. H. Siemens (likely husband of donor) about the records.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of an original letter written in 1894 by John William Clutton to a friend in England, who had shipped a potato-tilling plough to Mr. Clutton. The letter recounts pioneer life and farming in the Beaumont area. It includes references to ‘Gough’, a young man whom Clutton had recruited from England for help and Sandy Lake.
There are also 2 typed transcripts of the original letter.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives in 1971 by Mrs. H. Siemens.
The material was arranged according to the filing system of the creator.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
See Scope and content above.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A71-68
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms