Title and statement of responsibility area
John W. Sherwin fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material - photograph
- Architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1958 - 1960 (Creation)
- Sherwin, John W.
Physical description area
1 cm of textual records. - 3 photographs. - 5 blueprints
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
John Wallis Sherwin was born in 1873 in England. He emigrated to Canada in 1905. In 1906, John married Julia C. Hammond in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
By 1921, John and Julia were settled in Edmonton with their seven children – Julia W., Joan, John D., George H., Frances M., Richard W. and Kenneth.
John W. Sherwin worked as an insurance agent, manager and later was Secretary, then President of the Edmonton Land Company until his retirement.
John was a strong advocate for the preservation of Edmonton’s history with a particular interest in York boats.
John W. Sherwin died 8 Sep 1964 and Julia C. Sherwin died 9 Feb 1979. They are buried at the Mount Pleasant Municipal Cemetery.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of blueprints, images and research notes on York boats, covering the period 1810-1825, created and collected by Mr. Sherwin.
- Research notes on York boats
- Blueprints, some by Canadian Naval Headquarters (CANAVHED)
- The York Boat – Lines Plan, scale ¾” = 1 foot, Nov. 10, 1953, 45 x 86 cm (CANAVHED Curator Number 82231, NCC Reference No. 260/53);
- The York Boat – Construction Plan, scale ¾” = 1 foot, Nov. 10, 1953, 64 x 102 cm (CANAVHED Curator Number 82232, NCC Reference No. 261/53);
- The York Boat – Tentative Rigging Plan, scale ¼” = 1 foot, Dec. 30, 1953, 45 x 83 cm (CANAVHED Curator Number 82233, NCC Reference No. 289/53);
- Copy of The York Boat – Construction Plan, scale ¾” = 1 foot, traced by Capt. W. Gilding, Curator – Maritime Museum of Canada, Feb. 10, 1958, 31 x 75 cm;
- Copy of The York Boat – Tentative Rigging Plan, scale ¼” = 1 foot, traced by Capt. W. Gilding, Curator – Maritime Museum of Canada, Feb. 10, 1958, 31 x 75 cm.
- Articles on artwork ‘Fort Edmonton, 1825 – The Boat Brigade Leaving Fort Edmonton for York Factory’ for the Confederation Life Collection and the painter, John David Kelly (see EA-799-3).
Immediate source of acquisition
The material was arranged according to the filing system of the creator.
The photographs were assigned item numbers with the prefix EA-799.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
See Scope and content above.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A58-5, B61-35
This MS was formerly Miss M.E. Thompson fonds - that record (a brochure) has been repatriated to the Clipping files (Alberta Legislature Building).
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms