Title and statement of responsibility area
John Milner fonds
General material designation
- Graphic material - photograph
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
CA EDM MS-783
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1897 - 1904 (Creation)
- Milner, John
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
John Milner was born on 13 Dec 1849 in Yorkshire, England to Harriet Gallier Pimm and John Milner. He married Mary Ann Wilson Smith in 1870 in England. They would have 11 children.
John Milner was successful in the coal business in his native Yorkshire, but decided he could do better in Canada. He first went to Colorado for a few years then came to the Edmonton area with two of his adult children, William and Mary Ann, in 1895.
The following year he purchased land on the west side of the Latta Ravine that was part of River Lot 20 (known now as Riverdale) from Kenneth McDonald. John and his son William worked the mine. It became known as Milner’s Mine and the area often referred to as Milner’s Hill.
The coal mine was so successful John Milner convinced another son, Joe, to come to Edmonton from Colorado to join him in business. Joe Milner traded a purebred Ayrshire cow to McDonald in exchange for another parcel of land in River Lot 20. Milner and his sons continued to mine the area until the early 1900s, by which time they were operating other mines in the Clover Bar area.
The original Milner mine on Milner’s Hill was later part of the Edmonton Penitentiary grounds, where prisoners were involved in mining for coal to heat the penitentiary. The area is approximately where Clarke Stadium is today.
John Milner died in Edmonton 17 Jun 1926.
Mrs. W. Milner is a granddaughter-in-law to John Milner.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of photographs of John Milner’s early mining career in Edmonton, the Milner mine, as well as photographs of the Milner family and friends.
Immediate source of acquisition
This fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by Mrs. W. Milner in 1968.
The photographs were assigned item numbers with the prefix EA-39
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
See Scope and content above.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession numbers: A68-72
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
City of Edmonton Archives
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms