Title and statement of responsibility area
Jasper Place Engineering Department
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material - photograph
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of series.
Level of description
CA EDM RG-101-1
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1906 - 1972; predominant 1952 - 1964 (Creation)
- Town of Jasper Place Engineering Department
Physical description area
2.5 meters of textual records. - 376 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Jasper Place Engineering Department was established in July of 1954 with the appointment of the first Town Engineer, Milton L. Coulson. The department grew out of the Public Works Committee, composed of Jasper Place Town Councillors and operated under their oversight. As of January 1962, the Engineering Department was composed of several smaller administrative units: Sewer & Water, Public Works, Yard, and Parks. Sewer & Water was responsible for administration, meter reading, and the employment of skilled labourers. Public Works was in charge of roads maintenance and garbage collection. Yards and Parks were responsible for supervision and maintenance of their respective properties.
The Engineering Department worked extensively with external contractors to complete its projects. The department was also tasked with building the Jasper Place Sports Centre.
When the Town of Jasper Place was annexed by the City of Edmonton in 1964, the Town’s Engineering Department was subsumed into the larger City Engineer’s Department, and the Town Engineer, Norman L. Barber, was appointed Senior Engineer for the City of Edmonton.
Scope and content
This series consists of records created and collected by the Jasper Place Engineering Department. It includes project reports, updates, finances, correspondence, police reports on damage to infrastructure, personnel, and blueprints. This series also includes a plaque for the First Street Paving Program.
Immediate source of acquisition
This material was transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives by the City of Edmonton Engineer's Department in 1975. The plaque (file 306) was sent anonymously through interoffice mail in 2005.
The photographs were assigned item numbers with the prefix EA-75.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright may apply.
Reproduction restrictions may apply.
File list available online.
No further accruals are expected.
Before being rehoused in 2017, the reports in this series were numbered separately from the other records. They were renumbered to follow the rest of the series' numerical sequence. The photos in this series include EA-75-373, and EA-75-390 to EA-75-765.
Accession numbers: A75-24, A2005-0
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
City of Edmonton Archives
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Archives Society of Alberta Subject Terms
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata