Showing 254 results

Archival description
Government
Print preview View:

154 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds

  • CA EDM RG-21
  • Fonds
  • [ca.1828]-2017, predominant 1959 - 2000

This fonds consists of minutes, reports, correspondence, ledgers, and other records relating to the various functions performed by the Parks and Recreation Department and its successors.

An order has been imposed on the material. The arrangement includes 6 series and multiple sub-series. The series are as follows:

  • Series 1: Administration
  • Series 2: Heritage
  • Series 3: Parks
  • Series 4: Facilities
  • Series 5: Agencies and External Community Groups
  • Series 6: Photographs

City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department

City of Edmonton. Business Development Department fonds

  • CA EDM RG-23
  • Fonds
  • [ca.1871]-1989, predominant 1946-1989

This fonds consists of agreements, brochures, correspondence, manuals, meeting minutes, newsletters, press clippings, media releases, and promotional material relating to the Business Development Department.

The fonds has been divided into five series. Wherever possible this division was done with respect to the original order of the fonds. These five series are as follows:

  • Series 1: Business and Industrial Records
  • Series 2: Departmental Records
  • Series 3 Government Records
  • Series 4: Media and Public Relations Records
  • Series 5: Photographs

Business Development Department

Photographs

This series includes slides of Edmonton and area buildings, businesses, industry, people, events, recreation facilities, cityscapes, neighbourhoods, homes, offices, shopping malls, sports, transportation, educational institutions, and artistic renderings of proposed developments. It also includes copies of historical photographs from the 1800s and early 1900s. The photos in this collection are believed to have been used by the Edmonton Economic Development Authority to promote Edmonton.

City of Edmonton. Office of the City Clerk fonds

  • CA EDM RG-8
  • Fonds
  • 1875 - 2016

Fonds consists of minutes, reports, correspondence, invoices, clippings, scrapbooks, bylaws, contracts, minutes, and records relating to voter and census enumeration.

An order has been imposed on the material. The arrangement includes 15 series. The first 10 (RG-8.0 - RG-8.9) were processed in the 1970s and 1980s. Due to the size of the collection, the processing archivist decided to create a new division for each accession. From the 1990s onward the records were processed and arranged based on function, as reflected in RG-8.10 - RG-8.14.

RG-8.0: The Papers of the Edmonton Town/City Secretary (1892-1912). The records include outgoing and incoming correspondence from 1892 until the City of Edmonton's amalgamation with the Town Strathcona in 1912.

RG-8.1: Edmonton Financial Accounts (1892-1915). The records consist of four ledgers detailing the profits and expenditures of the Town/City of Edmonton, receipts, cash journals and other materials relating to the financial administration of the Town/City of Edmonton.

RG-8.2: Debenture (1897). The records consist of a single debenture issued by the Town of Edmonton payable to the order of the Bank of Hamilton.

RG-8.3: Office of the City Clerk (1891-1913). The records consist of a scrapbook, taxation records, legislation, building specifications and other materials.

RG-8.4: Election Scrapbooks (1918-1963). The records consist of scrapbooks compiled by the City Clerk's office relating to local elections and election procedures.

RG-8.5: Bylaws regarding Royal Visits (1939-1951). The records consist of bylaws relating to visits to Edmonton by members of the British Royal Family.

RG-8.6: Office of the City Clerk (1935-1972). The records contain correspondence, financial documents, election materials, personnel correspondence and other materials.

RG-8.7: Public Affairs Committee (1968-1973). The records consist of correspondence created by the Public Affairs Committee.

RG-8.8: Office of the City Clerk (1969-1974). The records consist of correspondence with the City Clerk concerning news media coverage of city affairs, public notices and university funding.

RG-8.9: Office of the City Clerk (1965-1973). The records consist of correspondence, reports, minutes and other materials related to the City of Edmonton's Finance and Budget Committee.

RG-8.10: Special Committee Reports of the City Clerk (1907-1966). The records consist of reports submitted by Special Committees appointed to study specific problems and issues.

RG-8.11: Civic Elections and Census Enumeration (1895-1974). The records consist of voter's lists, census documents, and other materials created by the Elections Office of the City of Edmonton.

RG-8.12: Bylaws (1892-2014). The records consist of repealed municipal bylaws.

RG-8.13: Contracts (1893-1989). The records consist of certified copies of municipal agreements for Edmonton and Strathcona with other parties.

RG-8.14: Minutes (1892-1991). The records consist of Council minutes.

Office of the City Clerk

Parks

The Parks and Recreation Department was responsible for all City-owned recreational facilities and lands, including green spaces such as cemeteries and golf courses.

This series contains the following sub-series:

  • Subseries 3.1: Cemeteries
  • Subseries 3.2: Golf Courses
  • Subseries 3.3: Parks Administration

Cemeteries

This sub-series consists of minutes, reports, correspondence, burial ledgers, monument and burial applications, agreements, and other records relating to the various functions performed by cemeteries operated by the City of Edmonton.

Most early cemeteries in Edmonton were private or created by religious organizations. It was not until 1914 that the City established Beechmount Cemetery as the first municipal graveyard. At this time there were three other private cemeteries operating within Edmonton's city limits, including Edmonton Cemetery, Mount Pleasant Cemetery, and Little Mountain Cemetery.

The Edmonton Cemetery Company was formed in 1886 and received a charter in the same year. It was a limited stock company with no dividends issued to stockholders. The Board of Directors consisted of many of the city's prominent men including Matt McCauley, Alex Taylor, George D. K. Kinnaird. The company acquired land from the Hudson's Bay reserve and established the grave yard south of 107th Avenue between 117th and 119th Streets. Later acquisitions expanded the grounds west and northward. In 1922 a large expansion to the west included a large reserve for a military field of honor around a Cross of Sacrifice, similar to those found in Europe, erected by the Veterans War Graves Commission. In 1932 a neo-classical Mausoleum was built on the north side of 107th Avenue. By the 1960s issues of financial viability and the need for perpetual care prompted the company to initiate negotiations to surrender their charter to the city. The transfer occurred in 1965.

Mount Pleasant Cemetery was a private burial ground in Strathcona. The first burials were in the 1890s, with the earliest marker showing 1893. The Strathcona Cemetery Company formed in 1900 to administer the cemetery. The City of Edmonton took over operation of this cemetery in 1941.

Little Mountain Cemetery was formed in 1895 as a church graveyard. Land was donated to Little Mountain Cemetery Company in 1900 and it became a public burial ground. After decades of financial struggle, the records were transferred to the City in 1981, and the City took the cemetery over in 1985.

As time progressed the City required more land for cemeteries. In 1972 the City purchased land off St. Albert Trail north of 137 Avenue. It was officially named Sturgeon Heights Memorial Park in 1986, then renamed Northern Lights Memorial Park in 1987. The first burial there occurred in 1989. In 1985 a piece of City owned land was chosen for the site of a future cemetery. It was officially named South Haven Cemetery in 1987 and opened the following year.

The most recent cemetery to come under the City's control is Clover Bar Cemetery, which was established in 1901 behind the Clover Bar Church. Homesteader W.H. Wilkinson donated his land for the cemetery and he and nine other local residents formed a cemetery company. The City of Edmonton took over the running of this cemetery in 1995.

The Health Department was responsible for cemetery operations from 1914 until 1929, at which time responsibility was transferred to the Engineering Department. In 1947 the newly created Parks Department took control. The Parks Department evolved to become the Parks and Recreation Department in 1962, and later the Community Services Department in 1997.

Assessment

The City Assessor's Department was responsible for raising the funds necessary for basic municipal services through the collection of taxes. The department assessed the value of businesses, land, real estate, and local improvements, maintained the records of tax assessments and payments for individual properties, and initiated action to collect overdue taxes.

This series contains records related to the assessment and collection of various municipal taxes. Aside from property taxes, the City also collected a service tax (essentially a municipal income tax), and a business tax, which was calculated as a percentage of the rental cost of certain business' commercial space or offices. When property taxes went into arrears, the City had the option of buying the property from the owner, or auctioning them off to collect taxes owed through tax sales.

An order has been imposed on the material. It includes the following four sub-series:

  • Subseries 1 - Property Tax Records
  • Subseries 2 - Business Tax Records
  • Subseries 3 - Service Tax Records
  • Subseries 4 - Arrears and Tax Sales
Results 1 to 10 of 254