The fonds consists of political papers relating to Dr. Roper's tenure as Mayor of Edmonton from 1959 to 1963. The photographs are from an album, presented to Elmer Roper by Chief Constable M.F.C. Anthony, commemorating the official opening of Police Headquarters Building, October 16, 1962. The textual material was arranged as follows:
Speeches, includes proclamations, briefings and other statements.
General Correspondence, containing invitations and acknowledgements; complaints and compliments, and general commentaries on civic business; also includes files created by his immediate predecessors as mayor, William Hawrelak, mayor until his resignation in September 1959 and F.J. Mitchell, acting mayor until the municipal election in October 1959.
Miscellaneous Papers, including new clippings, reports, and incidental documents
This fonds consists of personal papers of John J. Duggan as well as some records for the Town/City of Strathcona, including Duggan’s mayoral candidacy. The photographs are predominantly of the activities of the Old Timers’ association but there is also one of the first hand car into Edmonton.
The creation of a Jasper Place Fire Department was approve by Town Council in January, 1950. While the Fire Department was being established, fire protection services were provided by the City of Edmonton. The Jasper Place Fire Department received their first fire engine in October of 1950, and responded to their first call the following month.
This series consists of committee minutes, memos, operating procedures, reports and financial records relating to the activities of the Town of Jasper Place Fire Department. It also includes records related to fires and fire alarms.
An order has been imposed on the material. The arrangement includes 2 subseries. The series are as follows:
The Town Clerk and Treasurer was responsible for undertaking a census of residents and voter enumeration. The first census was done in April 1954, and periodically thereafter with the final one completed in April 1964.
This series consists of records created as a result of this work. The material contains voters lists, census enumeration, polling district maps, training aids, and a letter of employment the the 1962 Census Taker and Enumerator.
This series consists of town council minutes for the Town of Jasper Place from the period of January 1950 to August 1964. It also contains committee reports, financial statements, and the results of various elections and plebiscites.
The assessment and collection of taxes for the provision of basic municipal services was done by the Town Assessor. This role was under the Secretary-Treasurer until at least 1958, though by 1962 the Assessor reported directly to Town Council. The Assessor completed a yearly survey of property owners and recorded the information in ledgers in order to set tax rates based on income.
This series consists of material related to the assessment of various municipal taxes. Each tax assessment sheet captures the name of the landholder and information pertaining to their income and property. The tax assessments were undertaken by neighborhood. A summary of assessment was created for the period of 1960-1964. The material has been placed in alphabetical order by neighborhood.
The main legislative tool available to the Town of Jasper Place was the creation of bylaws. The municipality issued bylaws from it's incorporation as a Village in January 1950 until its amalgamation with the City of Edmonton in 1964.