10036 Macdonald Drive. In 1895, on a nearby site overlooking its historic river valley, the recently incorporated town of Edmonton built the College Avenue High School. There, under K.W. MacKenzie, its first principal, many of the city's outstanding citizens furthered their education.
Ezio Farone Park. The High Level Bridge was designed by Phillips B. Motley, the Engineer of Bridges for the Canadian Pacific Railway, and was constructed between 1910 and 1913 at a cost of two million dollars. It was the first bridge in Canada to carry four different modes of traffic: rail, streetcar, automobile, and pedestrian. The first passenger train, seven cars long and carrying 200 passengers, crossed the bridge from Strathcona to Edmonton on June 2, 1913. The structure is approximately one-half mile long (0.8 kilometre) and stands 152 feet (46.3 meters) above the mean river level. The construction of the bridge was a significant engineering achievement for the time, and the High Level Bridge remains a distinctive city landmark.
9904 - 105 Street. Dr. William MacKay lived on this site from 1898 until his death in 1916. A solid brick house with good lines stood here for many years. Dr. MacKay, a Scot, joined the Hudson's Bay Company as company surgeon. For some 30 years he was the only doctor north of Edmonton, working for 8 years out of Peace River, then 10 years out of Fort Chipewyan. Visiting patients was not easy. At one time it took one year to reach one Indian reserve. On another occasion he skated 200 miles from Grouard to answer an epidemic call in Edmonton. MacKay Avenue and MacKay Avenue School commemorate this highly respected citizen. Dr. William and his wife Anne (nee Flett) had 8 children and she accompanied him wherever possible.
Mayfield Park (10945 - 161 Street). Mayfield district and Mayfield School were named to commemorate the distinguished western Canadian fighter "ace" and bus pilot Wilfrid R. ("Wop") May (1896-1952). In April 1919 he founded May Airplanes Ltd. with his brother Court May and George Gorman. This was one of the first commercial aviation companies established in Canada. That year he carried out the first local aerial freight lift in "The City of Edmonton", a Curtiss Jenny JN4. The following year May piloted the first flight into Peace River country, and from this time onward his name is linked closely to the opening of the resource frontier north of Edmonton. More than any other individual "Wop" May established Edmonton as The Gateway to the North following the First World War. The rough airstrip where his pioneering efforts commenced in 1919 was located in a farmer's field near this site.
10305 - 100 Avenue. In 1899 on this site, then at Edmonton's outskirts, John A. McDougall built his three-storey brick Victorian mansion. Starting as a labourer in Winnipeg in 1873, the Ontario youth of nineteen began fur trading. He visited Edmonton in 1877 and two years later opened a store, the J.A. McDougall and Co. Mayor of Edmonton in 1897 and 1908, he held many public offices. He was a member of the first Senate of the University and in 1909 was elected to the Legislative Assembly.
109 Street & 80 Avenue. The Tipton Gyro Park is named in honour of former Alderman John G. Tipton. This park was officially opened on June 21, 1924. Fulfilling their slogan, "Playgrounds for Children", this became the third of nine parks built in the city by the Edmonton Gyro Club. The Gyros also provided regular maintenance and supervision of all the parks during the playground season of May 24th to August 31st. Their care of the equipment is evident, as some of the original slides are still being used. Over the decades, hundreds of thousands of children, and adults too, have enjoyed this and the other Gyro Parks. Responsibility for the Gyro Parks was later assumed by the City.
10045 - 156 Street. On 15 March 1935, it was decided that the Stony Plain School District be divided into two districts; one to be called West Jasper Place School District No. 4679. In July of that same year, a contract went to the lowest bidder to build a five-room school at a cost of $12,600, to be completed in 48 days. Enrolment in the new school was 135 pupils, with 5 teachers. There was a steady increase in pupils over the years, with 1946 showing an enrolment of 735. Due to the increasing enrolment, two additional buildings were constructed to the west of the original school. The first was built during World War II and later, a two-storey building was constructed to house the high school. The school continued to provide education until its demolition in 1980. This plaque is placed in commemoration of the establishment of West Jasper Place School District No. 4679. Gratitude is expressed to all of the outstanding principals and dedicated staff as well as past students, parents, residents and officials of West Jasper Place. Education continues to be provided at this site through the Grant MacEwan College Centre for the Arts, a fine building and an excellent place of learning.
12130 River Valley Road. In 1896 the Edmonton Country Club established, for its own members, a golf course south of Hardisty House, which became their club's headquarters. Hardisty House burned down in 1906, and in 1907 the golf links site was moved slightly to the west and a nine-hole course was created. The Edmonton Country Club operated these links until 1912. In that year the City of Edmonton bought for the Hudson's Bay Company the original golf links, as well as the area which is now Victoria Park. In May, 1914, Victoria Park was officially opened with the nine-hold Municipal Golf Links being established at the same time. By 1927 the course had expanded to 18 holes, and by 1950 it was again expanded to 27 holes. Victoria has the distinction of being the first Municipal Golf Course in Canada.
9797 Jasper Avenue. The Edmonton Bulletin was the newspaper of record between 1880 and 1903, when the Edmonton Evening Journal began publication. As such it has become one of the most valuable sources of information regarding the early history of the city. The building in which the Bulletin was published is one of Edmonton's oldest surviving structures. It was built in 1878 on Jasper Avenue east of the present location of the Macdonald Hotel. After several moves around the city it can now be seen at Fort Edmonton Park. This small building was a simple log structure sixteen feet square with a gable roof. The Bulletin was established by Frank Oliver. He bought the first town lot in Edmonton, and when the Dominion Telegraph reached the area in 1879, allowing "telegraphic" news service, he and Alex Taylor began to publish what he called the world's smallest newspaper the following year. In addition to bringing the first printing press to Edmonton, Frank Oliver was a member of the North West Territories Council from 1883 to 1896. He was also a Liberal Member of Parliament in the Laurier government after 1896, being re-elected until 1917. From 1905 to 1911 Oliver was Minister of the Interior and Superintendent General of Indian Affairs.
101 Street and 100 Avenue. On this site stood the old Edmonton Post Office. When completed in 1910 it constituted the most impressive feature on the City's developing sky-line. It was built of white stone from Tyndall, Manitoba, pressed brick trimmings and copper sheeted mansard roof. The clock tower rose 40 metres above the ground and remained a familiar Edmonton landmark until it was dismantled and the building demolished in 1972.