Affichage de 172 résultats

Description archivistique
City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds Houses Avec objets numériques Anglais
Options de recherche avancée
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

Lester Allyn House

9932 - 112 Street. This house was built in 1907 by Lester Allyn, an Edmonton building contractor. Allyn also built several other houses in the immediate area to take advantage of the booming market for housing in the new provincial capital. This house was used by Allyn as his own home until 1911. The next resident of the house was Frank Ford, a lawyer who later became Chancellor of the University of Alberta and a justice of the Supreme Court of Alberta. The house was also home to Arthur Dodman, general manager of the Hudson's Bay Company in Edmonton from 1915-17.
The main significance of the house, however, lies in its ties to the pre- 1912 residential housing boom in Edmonton. It is an excellent example of the kind of upper middle class housing built at the time. This is reflected in its location in then fashionable Oliver, the choice of brick as an exterior building material and the size and interior fittings of the house. By the 1920s and 1930s, this area was less fashionable and this is reflected in the home?s residents who included widows, clerks, a carpenter, a baker and a steamship company agent. The house also retains much of its original appearance and architectural details including two colours, a two storey bay window and decorative "piano" windows over the entrance hall.
This may be one of the most intact houses from the pre- First World War period left in Edmonton and serves as an excellent reminder of residential housing patterns and preferences in that period.

Lester Allyn House

9932 - 112 Street.
This house was built in 1907 by Lester Allyn, an Edmonton building contractor. Allyn also built several other houses in the immediate area to take advantage of the booming market for housing in the new provincial capital. This house was used by Allyn as his own home until 1911. The next resident of the house was Frank Ford, a lawyer who later became Chancellor of the University of Alberta and a justice of the Supreme Court of Alberta. The house was also home to Arthur Dodman, general manager of the Hudson's Bay Company in Edmonton from 1915-17.
The main significance of the house, however, lies in its ties to the pre- 1912 residential housing boom in Edmonton. It is an excellent example of the kind of upper middle class housing built at the time. This is reflected in its location in then fashionable Oliver, the choice of brick as an exterior building material and the size and interior fittings of the house. By the 1920s and 1930s, this area was less fashionable and this is reflected in the home?s residents who included widows, clerks, a carpenter, a baker and a steamship company agent. The house also retains much of its original appearance and architectural details including two colours, a two storey bay window and decorative "piano" windows over the entrance hall.
This may be one of the most intact houses from the pre- First World War period left in Edmonton and serves as an excellent reminder of residential housing patterns and preferences in that period.

Arthur Davies Residence

10606 - 84 Avenue
This large brick Queen Anne style residence was built in about the year 1907 by Arthur Davies.
Mr. Davies was prominent in Strathcona's commercial and political life after 1895, and his grocery emporium was well known. He served as Strathcona's mayor in 1905 and once again in 1911, overseeing the amalgamation of the Cities of Strathcona and Edmonton. Mr. Davies earned recognition as the "Father of Greater Edmonton".
The Davies house design incorporates twin, two storey bow windows and classical details including sandstone string courses and lintels. A second storey balcony is supported by Tuscan columns from the porch below, and the underside of the roof.

Arthur Davies Residence -SE

10606 - 84 Avenue
This large brick Queen Anne style residence was built in about the year 1907 by Arthur Davies.
Mr. Davies was prominent in Strathcona's commercial and political life after 1895, and his grocery emporium was well known. He served as Strathcona's mayor in 1905 and once again in 1911, overseeing the amalgamation of the Cities of Strathcona and Edmonton. Mr. Davies earned recognition as the "Father of Greater Edmonton".
The Davies house design incorporates twin, two storey bow windows and classical details including sandstone string courses and lintels. A second storey balcony is supported by Tuscan columns from the porch below, and the underside of the roof.

Arthur Davies Residence - East

10606 - 84 Avenue
This large brick Queen Anne style residence was built in about the year 1907 by Arthur Davies.
Mr. Davies was prominent in Strathcona's commercial and political life after 1895, and his grocery emporium was well known. He served as Strathcona's mayor in 1905 and once again in 1911, overseeing the amalgamation of the Cities of Strathcona and Edmonton. Mr. Davies earned recognition as the "Father of Greater Edmonton".
The Davies house design incorporates twin, two storey bow windows and classical details including sandstone string courses and lintels. A second storey balcony is supported by Tuscan columns from the porch below, and the underside of the roof.

Arthur Davies Residence - SW

10606 - 84 Avenue
This large brick Queen Anne style residence was built in about the year 1907 by Arthur Davies.
Mr. Davies was prominent in Strathcona's commercial and political life after 1895, and his grocery emporium was well known. He served as Strathcona's mayor in 1905 and once again in 1911, overseeing the amalgamation of the Cities of Strathcona and Edmonton. Mr. Davies earned recognition as the "Father of Greater Edmonton".
The Davies house design incorporates twin, two storey bow windows and classical details including sandstone string courses and lintels. A second storey balcony is supported by Tuscan columns from the porch below, and the underside of the roof.

Hugh Duncan Residence

8520 - 104 Street
Hugh Duncan commissioned John Sanford to build a large, embellished version of a Foursquare home for his family here in 1911. At the time, the Edwardian era Foursquares were the most popular house style on the prairies, projecting a modest dignity: symmetrical and simplistic in ornamentation, yet lavish in stature and domesticity. This house features a flared bell cast roof with curved dormer windows, tapered posts supporting a full-length open veranda, a projected front door entrance, a north-facing bay window, and keystone details above the ground floor windows.
Hugh and Clara Duncan, together with their children Edgar, Grace, and Brock, truly made what was then 60 Main Street North a fine home after it was completed in 1912. Edgar, wounded in Passchendaele during the First World War, returned here to study engineering at the University of Alberta. Brock followed in his father's footsteps, and established the Jasper Place Pharmacy. He later took over his father's business, Duncan's Drug Store on Whyte Avenue, after Hugh's death in 1935. Grace became a teacher and lived here with her family until the city bought the house in the 1960s.
Two decades later, the Old Strathcona Foundation purchased and renovated the residence for use as its organizational headquarters.

George Durrand Residence

10417 Saskatchewan Drive.
The Durrand Residence is valued for its association with the Durrand family, who were representative of the type of entrepreneurial and professional families that began to populate the city of Strathcona early in the twentieth century. The house was later home to Harold Gould Macdonald, a noted Edmontonian and founder of the H.G. Macdonald Company of contractors that has grown into the well-recognized firm of Christensen and Macdonald. He lived in the house until 1923.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 172