This fonds consists of the slide presentation “An Edmonton Story” created by members of the Gateway Camera Club. In this project the club members were attempting to tell the story of Edmonton’s history and growth through photography. The textual records include instructions, presentation outline, slide index with names of providers, script (2 copies), tray lists of the slide presentation. There is also a recorded narration (audiotape) to accompany the slides. File List: File 1. An Edmonton Story – notes, general outline, slide tray indexes, slide index (listing photographers). File 2. An Edmonton Story – script (2 copies) (for slides and narration on audio reel, see ET-11 and EAV-3).
The fonds consists of textual records and photographs created or collected by Hubert A. Hollingworth. The textual records include photography booklets and catalogues, various souvenir programs, a post card album, high school newsletters, published works, maps, and newspaper clippings relating to Edmonton's history, and a memorial of Frank Hollingworth and his work with early radio.
The photograph records are divided into two series: Series 1 – Hollingworth Photographs. Series 2 – Glass Slide Photographs.
The fonds consists of photographs from the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce's in-house collection. The photographs are of early Edmonton and include buildings, street scenes, city and farm scenes, animals, agriculture, people and events.
The fonds consists of photographs taken by Edgar Millen while serving in Canada’s north as an officer with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The photographs include images depicting the Arctic, where Millen was stationed, as well as several photos of Millen’s funeral and a cairn erected in his honour.
The fonds consists of a handwritten account by G.D. Clark on the first fireworks display in Edmonton, held 1 July 1893 at the racetrack on the Hudson’s Bay Reserve lands. It includes references to Tommy Lauder and Bill Ibbotson.
The fonds consists of textual records, historical documents, photographs, paintings and maps gathered by NAPOTA in support of the association’s goal of preserving the history of Edmonton. The fonds also includes the records of the association including minutes, membership records, correspondence, financial documents and news clippings. The fonds is arranged as follows:
Correspondence files 1926, 1928-1929 . a. Alphabetical file series . b. Correspondence files
Topical files 1887-2009 . a. Alphabetical file series . b. Correspondence files
Newspapers and Clippings
Northern Alberta Pioneers and Old Timers' Association
This fonds consists of notes and articles prepared by G.M. Hutchinson relating to the work of Robert Rundle, who was one of a small group of missionaries who were sent to Canada by the Wesleyans (Methodists) in England in 1840. Rundle was the first Protestant missionary to reach the area which is now Alberta. His first headquarters was Fort Edmonton from where he traveled as far as Rocky Mountain House, the Bow River near the future site of Banff, and Beaver Lake. Shortly before he left Canada in 1848 he established a mission at Pigeon Lake, now known as the Rundle Mission. The material was used in research for Rundle House at Fort Edmonton Park. The fonds also includes a photograph of Rev. Robert Rundle and his bride, Mary Wolverson. Item List:
memorandum re: marriages performed by Rundle in Saskatchewan District; includes a list of 7 marriages Rundle performed at Edmonton House 1841-1848, n.d.
historical article, “The Rev. Robert Terrill Rundle at Fort Edmonton”, by G.M. Hutchinson, July, 1974
address, “The British (Wesleyan) Mission to North America, 1840-1854”, by G.M. Hutchinson, October 2, 1974. The records include references to: Phroisine Brabon, Ephriam Evans, Hugh Frazer, Antione Gouin, Francoise Gouin, Margaret Harriott, Paul Kane, Paul Kane Jr., Rev. William Mason, Peter Ogden, Antione Osee, Judie Osee, Jean Baptiste Pauldit, Jean Baptiste Raymond, John Rowand, John Rowand. Mary Wolverson Rundle, Rev. Robert Terrill Rundle, See-Seel, Sir George Simpson, Angelique Tessier, Father Thybeault, Elizabeth Ward, George Ward and the Wesleyan Missionary Society.
The collection consists of a copy of the Edmonton Bulletin, No. 1, November 2, 1889 and 1970 newspaper clipping from the Sarnia Observer noting the Edmonton Bulletin, first issued December 6, 1880, as the first newspaper in Alberta.
The photographs include images of Indigenous peoples and one image of the Daily (Edmonton) Bulletin building.