The fonds consists of invoices and receipts from various businesses in account with W.S. Robertson for Robertson Hall.
Robertson Hall, sometimes called Edmonton Opera House, was located on the south side of east Jasper Ave, at approximately 9671 Jasper Avenue, across from the Jasper House Hotel and Mathers’ Photograph Studio. The building was a two-storey frame structure, 45 feet x 65 feet. It had a large cellar, two shops on the main floor with the large hall on the second floor. The hall was entered via a five foot wide stairwell, seated 300 to 350 people, and featured an 18 foot stage with dressing rooms on either side.
Robertson’s Hall was used for a variety of events including town meetings and receptions, dances, musical and dramatic performances, concerts, political debates, charitable events, and variety shows. Robertson himself managed the hall for many years, until Neville White was hired as manager in 1899.
Robertson’s Sheriff office was located in Robertson Hall for many years. Later, Robertson’s son Frederick M. Robertson had a Provisions, Flour and Feed shop in the second office.
Robertson Hall is considered as Edmonton’s first theatre or venue and was in regular use until it burned down on May 23, 1906.