Affichage de 4275 résultats

Description archivistique
Texte
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

4275 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

Jennie Ottewell Smith fonds

  • CA EDM MS-225
  • Fonds
  • 1920-[196-?]

The fonds consists of some records and biographical clippings of Richard Ottewell and the Ottewell family as well as correspondence and records of Jennie (Ottewell) Smith and her husband Bliss Simith.
There are also books in algebra, geometry, mechanics and mechanical drawing from the American School of Correspondence, likely used by Bliss Smith for correspondence courses as well as a garden seed and nursery catalogue:
The photographs are of Richard and Fanny Ottewell and their children, including Richard and Fanny Ottewell on their 50th wedding anniversary (1927), as well as the Clover Bar School.

Smith, Jennie Ottewell

Mary Hanratty fonds

  • CA EDM MS-380
  • Fonds
  • 1803 - 1941

The fonds consists of sheet music collected and used by Mary Hanratty. The music is a variety of sacred and popular songs.

Hanratty, Mary Gladys Young

Gilda Rath fonds

  • CA EDM MS-43
  • Fonds
  • 1870 - 1971

The fonds consists of research materials collected or created by Gilda Rath. The records generally relates to three themes: excerpts from the Edmonton Bulletin 1880-1882, and the Saskatchewan Herald, 1879-1882; the story of the Lamoureux family from their origins in Quebec to their settlement in the Edmonton district; and translations of correspondence from the Oblate Archives relating to members of the order and to the history of the Edmonton area.
Also included is information on First Nations, Metis, steamboat transportation on the North Saskatchewan, and notes and excerpts from other sources. The research material appears to have been accumulated for a book on the history of French settlement in North America and the Canadian northwest, focusing on the Lamoureux family. A partial typescript of this work is included in the fonds. Some of the notes are transcripts from tape recordings, but the original tapes are not present.

Rath, Gilda

Hudson's Bay Company collection

  • CA EDM MS-51
  • Collection
  • 1879-1884, 1970

The fonds consists of accounting records from Fort Edmonton (1879-1884) and a daily journal from Fort Victoria, now Pakan (1890-1893). There are also records relating to a model-building contest of Fort Edmonton and copies of plans for Fort Edmonton (1970).
Photographs include the official opening of Fort Edmonton Park (1967), the winning Fort Edmonton model and builder (1970), York boats and Red River carts.

Hudson's Bay Company

General clippings files

This sub-series consists of over 14,000 clippings files that relate to a variety of topics. These include, but are not limited to: buildings, businesses, cultural communities, events, festivals, industry, organizations and clubs, rural areas, schools, and sports.

City clippings files

This sub-series consists of over 2000 clippings files related to business units in the City of Edmonton. It also includes files on municipal elections, mayors and council, City facilities and parks, roads, utilities, unions, awards, programs and services, and neighbourhoods.

Cemeteries

This sub-series consists of minutes, reports, correspondence, burial ledgers, monument and burial applications, agreements, and other records relating to the various functions performed by cemeteries operated by the City of Edmonton.

Most early cemeteries in Edmonton were private or created by religious organizations. It was not until 1914 that the City established Beechmount Cemetery as the first municipal graveyard. At this time there were three other private cemeteries operating within Edmonton's city limits, including Edmonton Cemetery, Mount Pleasant Cemetery, and Little Mountain Cemetery.

The Edmonton Cemetery Company was formed in 1886 and received a charter in the same year. It was a limited stock company with no dividends issued to stockholders. The Board of Directors consisted of many of the city's prominent men including Matt McCauley, Alex Taylor, George D. K. Kinnaird. The company acquired land from the Hudson's Bay reserve and established the grave yard south of 107th Avenue between 117th and 119th Streets. Later acquisitions expanded the grounds west and northward. In 1922 a large expansion to the west included a large reserve for a military field of honor around a Cross of Sacrifice, similar to those found in Europe, erected by the Veterans War Graves Commission. In 1932 a neo-classical Mausoleum was built on the north side of 107th Avenue. By the 1960s issues of financial viability and the need for perpetual care prompted the company to initiate negotiations to surrender their charter to the city. The transfer occurred in 1965.

Mount Pleasant Cemetery was a private burial ground in Strathcona. The first burials were in the 1890s, with the earliest marker showing 1893. The Strathcona Cemetery Company formed in 1900 to administer the cemetery. The City of Edmonton took over operation of this cemetery in 1941.

Little Mountain Cemetery was formed in 1895 as a church graveyard. Land was donated to Little Mountain Cemetery Company in 1900 and it became a public burial ground. After decades of financial struggle, the records were transferred to the City in 1981, and the City took the cemetery over in 1985.

As time progressed the City required more land for cemeteries. In 1972 the City purchased land off St. Albert Trail north of 137 Avenue. It was officially named Sturgeon Heights Memorial Park in 1986, then renamed Northern Lights Memorial Park in 1987. The first burial there occurred in 1989. In 1985 a piece of City owned land was chosen for the site of a future cemetery. It was officially named South Haven Cemetery in 1987 and opened the following year.

The most recent cemetery to come under the City's control is Clover Bar Cemetery, which was established in 1901 behind the Clover Bar Church. Homesteader W.H. Wilkinson donated his land for the cemetery and he and nine other local residents formed a cemetery company. The City of Edmonton took over the running of this cemetery in 1995.

The Health Department was responsible for cemetery operations from 1914 until 1929, at which time responsibility was transferred to the Engineering Department. In 1947 the newly created Parks Department took control. The Parks Department evolved to become the Parks and Recreation Department in 1962, and later the Community Services Department in 1997.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 4275