The fonds consists of research materials collected or created by Gilda Rath. The records generally relates to three themes: excerpts from the Edmonton Bulletin 1880-1882, and the Saskatchewan Herald, 1879-1882; the story of the Lamoureux family from their origins in Quebec to their settlement in the Edmonton district; and translations of correspondence from the Oblate Archives relating to members of the order and to the history of the Edmonton area. Also included is information on First Nations, Metis, steamboat transportation on the North Saskatchewan, and notes and excerpts from other sources. The research material appears to have been accumulated for a book on the history of French settlement in North America and the Canadian northwest, focusing on the Lamoureux family. A partial typescript of this work is included in the fonds. Some of the notes are transcripts from tape recordings, but the original tapes are not present.
This fonds consists of a bank book and deposit slips documenting the fund-raising for the Edmonton Cenotaph and copies of the programmes for the unveiling and re-dedication of the cenotaph. File List: File 1: Bank book and deposit slips File 2: Programmes - Unveiling of the Edmonton Cenotaph, August 13, 1936 (3 c.); Re-dedication of the Edmonton Cenotaph, August 26, 1946 (3 c.)
The fonds consists of a history of Smith's Ambulance Service, a biography of the founder of Smith’s Ambulance Service, Sherman Maxwell Smith, and several photocopied newspaper clippings relating to the company. The photographs include images of ambulances from the 1930s to the 1970s and various staff.
The fonds consists of a copy of "Courrier-Sud", Sept. 5, 1972, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the order's presence at Nicolet, Quebec, a copy of "Le Franco-Albertain”, Oct. 10, 1973, which contains an article on the Lamoureux family, and a dedication booklet of "La Congregation Des Souers de l'Assomption de la Sainte Vierge", 1974. The photographs include Assumption Academy, convent and chapel at St. Joachim, Ecole Sacre Coure, Immaculate Conception church and rectory, and sisters with children at Hobbema.
The fonds consists of correspondence, meeting minutes and supporting documents, reports and legislation relating to the Steering Committee, Foundation of Cultural Heritage and the Edmonton Community Foundation, 1970-1971. The fonds also includes a portrait photograph of Merrill Wolfe, 1975, that was used for an Edmonton Historical Board award.
The fonds consists of photocopied transcripts of letters and articles written by Ernest S. George and the certificate of membership of E.S. George to the Northern Alberta Pioneers and Old-Timers Association, Dec. 31, 1926. It also includes a photocopied transcript of an article by Barbara Mary George, Ernest George's mother. The photograph is a portrait of Ernest George, ca. 1962 that was used for an Edmonton Historical Board award in 1977.
This fonds consists of notes and articles prepared by G.M. Hutchinson relating to the work of Robert Rundle, who was one of a small group of missionaries who were sent to Canada by the Wesleyans (Methodists) in England in 1840. Rundle was the first Protestant missionary to reach the area which is now Alberta. His first headquarters was Fort Edmonton from where he traveled as far as Rocky Mountain House, the Bow River near the future site of Banff, and Beaver Lake. Shortly before he left Canada in 1848 he established a mission at Pigeon Lake, now known as the Rundle Mission. The material was used in research for Rundle House at Fort Edmonton Park. The fonds also includes a photograph of Rev. Robert Rundle and his bride, Mary Wolverson. Item List:
memorandum re: marriages performed by Rundle in Saskatchewan District; includes a list of 7 marriages Rundle performed at Edmonton House 1841-1848, n.d.
historical article, “The Rev. Robert Terrill Rundle at Fort Edmonton”, by G.M. Hutchinson, July, 1974
address, “The British (Wesleyan) Mission to North America, 1840-1854”, by G.M. Hutchinson, October 2, 1974. The records include references to: Phroisine Brabon, Ephriam Evans, Hugh Frazer, Antione Gouin, Francoise Gouin, Margaret Harriott, Paul Kane, Paul Kane Jr., Rev. William Mason, Peter Ogden, Antione Osee, Judie Osee, Jean Baptiste Pauldit, Jean Baptiste Raymond, John Rowand, John Rowand. Mary Wolverson Rundle, Rev. Robert Terrill Rundle, See-Seel, Sir George Simpson, Angelique Tessier, Father Thybeault, Elizabeth Ward, George Ward and the Wesleyan Missionary Society.
The collection consists of a copy of the Edmonton Bulletin, No. 1, November 2, 1889 and 1970 newspaper clipping from the Sarnia Observer noting the Edmonton Bulletin, first issued December 6, 1880, as the first newspaper in Alberta.
The photographs include images of Indigenous peoples and one image of the Daily (Edmonton) Bulletin building.