This fonds consists of material related to land titles and related correspondence in the parts of Sturgeon County that were eventually annexed by the City of Edmonton. The records detail changes pertaining to the land such as the sales, recovery of taxes, building permits, and changes of ownership.
This fonds consists of material generated as a result of the operations of the Town of Beverly from its incorporation as a village in 1913 until shortly after its annexation by the City of Edmonton in 1961. The records include minutes, correspondence, reports, debentures, contracts, agreements, voters lists, tax assessment rolls, building permits, and petitions, and includes 85 ledgers.
An order has been imposed on the material. The arrangement includes 5 series. The series are as follows:
The fonds consists of two photographs of Fort Walsh, a former fort of the North West Mounted Police (N.W.M.P.) located in Saskatchewan near the Canada/U.S. border. The first photograph is of the original fort in 1878. The second photograph is approximately the same view in the 1940s showing the reconstructed fort, with horses roaming in front. The fonds also includes a 1905 Driscoll’s Map of Edmonton, 2nd Edition (EAM-48).
The fonds consists of photographs of farming activities on farms near Edmonton, possible Allan’s farm or farm of a neighbor or friend. The photographs include horse and steam powered agricultural equipment.
The fonds consists of a postcard photograph of a horse and wagon plowing team and a book ‘Incidents in the Life of John S. Sullivan and other Famous People’ by William C. Burns (921.BUR). The book is the personal reminiscences of William Burns who was a prize fighter but in later years resided at the Selkirk Hotel and was often known to stand on the corner of Jasper Ave and 101 St., telling ‘interesting yarns’ about his prize fighting days. The publishing of the book was funded by donations of William Burns’ friends. It is possible Thomas Walsh contributed to the publishing of the book.
The fonds consists of one photograph of the 1st Depot Battalion (Alberta). Depot Battalions were created in central locations across Canada to handle the training of the final allotments of recruits. The recruits received minimal training at the Depot Battalions and were then sent to reserve battalions in England where they received the rest of their training. The 1st Depot Battalion was formed in 1917 and 1918 to provide reinforcements for the 10th, 31st, 49th and 50th Battalions through the 21st Canadian Reserve Battalion. It is possible an ancestor or relative of Audrey Bourget is in the photo but this is not confirmed.