- CA EDM MS-132
This fonds consists of notes and articles prepared by G.M. Hutchinson relating to the work of Robert Rundle, who was one of a small group of missionaries who were sent to Canada by the Wesleyans (Methodists) in England in 1840. Rundle was the first Protestant missionary to reach the area which is now Alberta. His first headquarters was Fort Edmonton from where he traveled as far as Rocky Mountain House, the Bow River near the future site of Banff, and Beaver Lake. Shortly before he left Canada in 1848 he established a mission at Pigeon Lake, now known as the Rundle Mission.
The material was used in research for Rundle House at Fort Edmonton Park.
The fonds also includes a photograph of Rev. Robert Rundle and his bride, Mary Wolverson.
- memorandum re: marriages performed by Rundle in Saskatchewan District; includes a list of 7 marriages Rundle performed at Edmonton House 1841-1848, n.d.
- historical article, “The Rev. Robert Terrill Rundle at Fort Edmonton”, by G.M. Hutchinson, July, 1974
- address, “The British (Wesleyan) Mission to North America, 1840-1854”, by G.M. Hutchinson, October 2, 1974.
The records include references to: Phroisine Brabon, Ephriam Evans, Hugh Frazer, Antione Gouin, Francoise Gouin, Margaret Harriott, Paul Kane, Paul Kane Jr., Rev. William Mason, Peter Ogden, Antione Osee, Judie Osee, Jean Baptiste Pauldit, Jean Baptiste Raymond, John Rowand, John Rowand. Mary Wolverson Rundle, Rev. Robert Terrill Rundle, See-Seel, Sir George Simpson, Angelique Tessier, Father Thybeault, Elizabeth Ward, George Ward and the Wesleyan Missionary Society.
Hutchinson, Gerald M.