The fonds consists of a history of Smith's Ambulance Service, a biography of the founder of Smith’s Ambulance Service, Sherman Maxwell Smith, and several photocopied newspaper clippings relating to the company. The photographs include images of ambulances from the 1930s to the 1970s and various staff.
The fonds consists of a copy of "Courrier-Sud", Sept. 5, 1972, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the order's presence at Nicolet, Quebec, a copy of "Le Franco-Albertain”, Oct. 10, 1973, which contains an article on the Lamoureux family, and a dedication booklet of "La Congregation Des Souers de l'Assomption de la Sainte Vierge", 1974. The photographs include Assumption Academy, convent and chapel at St. Joachim, Ecole Sacre Coure, Immaculate Conception church and rectory, and sisters with children at Hobbema.
The fonds consists of correspondence, meeting minutes and supporting documents, reports and legislation relating to the Steering Committee, Foundation of Cultural Heritage and the Edmonton Community Foundation, 1970-1971. The fonds also includes a portrait photograph of Merrill Wolfe, 1975, that was used for an Edmonton Historical Board award.
The fonds consists of photocopied transcripts of letters and articles written by Ernest S. George and the certificate of membership of E.S. George to the Northern Alberta Pioneers and Old-Timers Association, Dec. 31, 1926. It also includes a photocopied transcript of an article by Barbara Mary George, Ernest George's mother. The photograph is a portrait of Ernest George, ca. 1962 that was used for an Edmonton Historical Board award in 1977.
This fonds contains material created and collected by City Aldermen and Councillors and their staff relating to the business of the City.
The fonds has been divided into the following series:
Series 1: Paul Norris Series 2: Lillian Staroszik Series 3: Councillors' Collection Series 4: Reports via Edmonton Public Library Series 5: William Douglas McLean Series 6: Ken Newman Series 7: Edmund Hugh Leger
This fonds consists of notes and articles prepared by G.M. Hutchinson relating to the work of Robert Rundle, who was one of a small group of missionaries who were sent to Canada by the Wesleyans (Methodists) in England in 1840. Rundle was the first Protestant missionary to reach the area which is now Alberta. His first headquarters was Fort Edmonton from where he traveled as far as Rocky Mountain House, the Bow River near the future site of Banff, and Beaver Lake. Shortly before he left Canada in 1848 he established a mission at Pigeon Lake, now known as the Rundle Mission. The material was used in research for Rundle House at Fort Edmonton Park. The fonds also includes a photograph of Rev. Robert Rundle and his bride, Mary Wolverson. Item List:
memorandum re: marriages performed by Rundle in Saskatchewan District; includes a list of 7 marriages Rundle performed at Edmonton House 1841-1848, n.d.
historical article, “The Rev. Robert Terrill Rundle at Fort Edmonton”, by G.M. Hutchinson, July, 1974
address, “The British (Wesleyan) Mission to North America, 1840-1854”, by G.M. Hutchinson, October 2, 1974. The records include references to: Phroisine Brabon, Ephriam Evans, Hugh Frazer, Antione Gouin, Francoise Gouin, Margaret Harriott, Paul Kane, Paul Kane Jr., Rev. William Mason, Peter Ogden, Antione Osee, Judie Osee, Jean Baptiste Pauldit, Jean Baptiste Raymond, John Rowand, John Rowand. Mary Wolverson Rundle, Rev. Robert Terrill Rundle, See-Seel, Sir George Simpson, Angelique Tessier, Father Thybeault, Elizabeth Ward, George Ward and the Wesleyan Missionary Society.
The collection consists of a copy of the Edmonton Bulletin, No. 1, November 2, 1889 and 1970 newspaper clipping from the Sarnia Observer noting the Edmonton Bulletin, first issued December 6, 1880, as the first newspaper in Alberta.
The photographs include images of Indigenous peoples and one image of the Daily (Edmonton) Bulletin building.
The fonds consists of greeting cards and other memorabilia belonging to Gertrude Lake. There is also a photograph of a 1914 Ladies basketball team, with a basketball lettered “A.G.T. L.D.O” and 2 travel photographs. File List:
Greetings cards (includes ‘Maple Leaf Forever’; Smile Messenger postcards, and advertisement card ‘Klever Kard’ for Ki-Moids for Indigestion)
Valentine’s Day cards
Christmas Cards (includes Christmas cards sent by Gertrude Doughty)
New Years Cards
Baby cards (includes a Baby Book from the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company)
Calendars (miniature) – 1922, 1926 (with photo of child)
Paper cutouts (used to decorate cards or gifts)
Travel postcards and booklets (Kingston, Ont.; Seattle, Washington; Venice, California) and travel prints (Peace Tower, Ottawa; Bob’s Lake, Ontario; Athabasca Falls,
Booklet – AGT “The Silent Partner” Vol. VIII, No. 4, October 1927; paper print of Aladdin Home ‘The Lockwood’
The fonds consists of two programmes and one news clipping of the Empire Theatre which opened in 1920 on 103 Street just north of Jasper Avenue. It operated as Edmonton's premier theatre until it was converted into offices during the Second World War. Its lifespan was roughly coincidental with the golden age of drama, opera, and vaudeville. Stars such as Harry Lauder, Charlie Chaplin, and Will Rogers were among the performers. The building was used not only as a playhouse but also for political gatherings, sports broadcasts, and city theatrical productions. Note: both programmes include a variety of advertisements of local businesses of the time, including full page ads for Swift’s on the inside front covers. Item List:
Programme – “The Victorian Maid – A Musical Comedy”, New Empire Theatre, Feb. 10th, 11th & 12th, 1921;
Programme – “The Girl Of My Dreams – A Musical Comedy”, New Empire Theatre, Feb. 23rd, 24th & 25th 1922;
Newspaper clipping – “’The Three Twins’ Goes With Eclat From Rise to Drop of the Curtain at Empire Theatre”, unknown paper, n.d.