Showing 861 results

Archivistische beschrijving
Historic buildings
Print preview View:

856 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Ritchie Mill - NE

10171 Saskatchewan Drive.
The Ritchie Mill was one of the first roller mills in Western Canada. It was erected in 1891 by John Ritchie at a time when local agriculture was only beginning to develop. Under Robert Ritchie the mill became one of the major industries in South Edmonton and has remained a familiar monument to the local pioneering experience.

Sheriff Robertson House - SW

8120 Jasper Avenue.
Walter Scott Robertson was born in St. John, New Brunswick in 1841. He settled in Edmonton in 1882 and was soon appointed the first Sheriff of the Edmonton district. Robertson served in that capacity until retiring, shortly before his death, in 1915.
Sheriff Robertson built this house in 1912 as his retirement home. It was designed by Alfred M. Calderon, an Edmonton architect who also designed the LeMarchand Mansion. Calderon was influenced by acclaimed American architect Frank Lloyd Wright, whose "Prairie - Style" house is reflected here.
The house features an octagonal cupola, located over a two storey rotunda containing a fieldstone fireplace. The "porte chochere" or covered drive-through at the front was built for horse drawn carriages.

John Ross Residence

9904 - 106 Street.
This brick home was built in 1912 by John W. Ross. Born in Pictou County, N.S., John Ross learned the building trade before moving west. After unsuccessful ranching in Manitoba, he helped build the R.N.W.M.P. Headquarters in Regina. In 1887 John Ross became Indian Agent at Hobbema, and in 1890 moved to Saddle Lake as Farm Instructor and Agent. 1900 he entered the real estate business in Edmonton, retiring 1913 to the Coast because of his wife's ill-health.
He was known as a trim dresser, always wearing a stiff starched collar, and drove an electric 2-door brougham roadster with a steering bar.
The Alberta government took over the home in 1957, and the Alano Fellowship Club took up residency. When the interior was badly gutted by fire in 1976, members of the Alano Club volunteered their time in restoring the interior.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Barracks

9542 - 101A Avenue.
For decades this site was occupied by the R.C.M.P. or its predecessor, the Royal North West Mounted Police. Upon moving from Fort Saskatchewan in 1909 the headquarters of "G" Division R.N.W.M.P. was located in the James Cameron house in Edmonton and moved into this more modern structure in May 1913.

St. Barbara's Church - N

10105 - 96 Street.
The first St. Barbara's Russian Greek Catholic Orthodox Church in Edmonton was a two-storied house consecrated on this site by Reverend James Korchinsky and Reverend Michael Skibinsky on May 18, 1902. Over sixty people attended this service. It was replaced by a wooden structure in 1908 and consecrated by Archmandrite Arseny. It was used until 1958, when the present building was completed to become St. Barbara's Russian Orthodox Cathedral on August 8, 1959.

St. Francis of Assissi Friary / St. Anthony's College - Entrance

6670 - 129 Avenue.
Packingtown, Alberta, officially the Village of North Edmonton, appeared with the arrival of the Canadian Northern Railway on the north side of the river in 1905. The unusual name reflected the numerous meatpacking plants that employed most residents, and the moniker stuck until Edmonton annexed the area in 1912.
The closest Roman Catholic priests lived in St. Albert, too far away to care for the rapidly increasing population. Bishop Vital Grandin, an Oblate, appealed to the Franciscans in Montreal to send missionaries. In 1908, Reverend Father Berchmans Mangin and Brother Raphael Quinn responded to the call, as did Father Arthur Rappard who conducted the first church service in Packingtown. One year later Father Boniface Heidmeier and Brother Andrew Chevalier became the first residents of a new friary, built here on land acquired by Bishop Emile Legal. Named after St. Francis of Assisi, the friary became the first permanent Franciscan monastery in western Canada. The missionaries subsequently built St. Francis School and St. Francis of Assisi Church on the same property.
In the 1920s, the priests hired local architect Edward Underwood and contractor J.P. Desrochers to build a simple, rectangular brick three-storey seminary, the Seraphic College for Franciscan Vocations. With seven postulants registered for the first classes in 1925, and twenty-seven the following year, the order immediately considered expansion. In 1931, Underwood and Desrochers designed an addition for sixty-five more students. The new wing added considerable architectural interest to the building. It featured the Collegiate Gothic style with a projected entry, stepped parapet extending from the roofline, niche for a religious statue over the entrance, and pointed arch windows featuring decorative keystones on the main floor. When a fire destroyed the original friary in 1934, repair workers built a new entrance for the original seminary, and renovated part of the addition to become the priests' residence. The college housed as many as ninety students a year. It has operated as a seminary, private school, and residence for young men.
Although a new church appeared here in the 1960s, after fire destroyed the original, the college closed a decade later. With deep commitment, generations of families in the Balwin neighbourhood supported the community of priests. St. Francis of Assisi stood as the headquarters of the Franciscans' mission in Edmonton and western Canada until 2005.

St. Josephat Cathedral

10825 - 97 Street.
St. Josaphat Cathedral is one of Edmonton's most beautiful and architecturally significant churches. Constructed between 1939 and 1947 the Byzantine Cathedral combines Roman, American Colonial and Renaissance design. Seven elaborate domes, a grand entrance, and rare and magnificent interior religious murals distinguish the church.
Father Philip Ruh, O.M.I., a priest who had studied architecture in Germany before being ordained in 1913, designed St. Josaphat. His first assignment was to serve in Ukraine where he became familiar with the highly ornamented style of Byzantine architecture. He arrived in Canada in 1911 to carry out missionary work among the Ukrainian settlers of Northern Alberta. Erected in part by the labour of the parishioners, the church cost $100,000 less to build than the estimated $250,000.
Among the interior highlights of the church are the spectacular tempera frescoes on the walls and domes. Professor Julian Bucmaniuk, an outstanding Ukrainian mural artist, painted most of the frescoes over a five-year period beginning in the 1950s. He immigrated to Canada in 1950 after teaching art in Europe. The frescoes are painted in the Baroque style, with dominant blue tones representing heaven and serenity, and yellow tones for brightness and tranquility.
In 1949, St. Josaphat was designated as a cathedral. The church has been home to the Ukrainian Catholic Women's League of Canada Arts and Crafts Museum for almost fifty years and holds artifacts that were brought to Canada or made by Ukrainian settlers. In 1984, St. Josaphat Cathedral was provincially designated as one of the most ornate places of worship in the Province.

St. Joseph's College

88 Avenue & 114 Street. University of Alberta.
In November 1927 St. Joseph's College, an affiliate of the University of Alberta, moved into this building. Agreed upon in August 1921 by Archbishop Henry J. O'Leary and University President Henry M. Tory, the University's Catholic College has since served the University and members of various beliefs in the Alberta Community. It has promoted academic excellence and an understanding of all tenets of the Christian faith.

St. Joseph's Hospital

10728 - 82 Avenue.
When this elegant brick and stone building opened in January 1948, newspapers hailed it as one of the most modern hospitals in Canada. Costing around $700,000, not including furnishings, the four-storey building was originally designed to hold six storeys. A hospital has been situated on this block since 1929 when the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul purchased the old Whyte Block, located on the eastern corner of this property, and turned it into a hospital for the aged.
Over the years the building was known by many names such as House of Providence Home, St. Joseph's Hospital for Incurables, and finally, St. Joseph's Auxiliary Hospital. Through it all, the Sisters performed loving, caring treatment for many patients either terminally ill or severely disabled. In 1955 an additional two storeys were added. In 1963 the Whyte Block was demolished and an auditorium was added to the west and a Sisters' residence to the east. The hospital closed in 1993 as the Sisters relocated to a site in the southern part of the city.
After sitting vacant for several years the building underwent a dramatic renovation and was re-born in 1997 as the Garneau Lofts.

St. Joseph's Hospital - SW

10728 - 82 Avenue.
When this elegant brick and stone building opened in January 1948, newspapers hailed it as one of the most modern hospitals in Canada. Costing around $700,000, not including furnishings, the four-storey building was originally designed to hold six storeys. A hospital has been situated on this block since 1929 when the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul purchased the old Whyte Block, located on the eastern corner of this property, and turned it into a hospital for the aged.
Over the years the building was known by many names such as House of Providence Home, St. Joseph's Hospital for Incurables, and finally, St. Joseph's Auxiliary Hospital. Through it all, the Sisters performed loving, caring treatment for many patients either terminally ill or severely disabled. In 1955 an additional two storeys were added. In 1963 the Whyte Block was demolished and an auditorium was added to the west and a Sisters' residence to the east. The hospital closed in 1993 as the Sisters relocated to a site in the southern part of the city.
After sitting vacant for several years the building underwent a dramatic renovation and was re-born in 1997 as the Garneau Lofts.

Resultaten 61 tot 70 van 861