Affichage de 172 résultats

Description archivistique
City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds Houses Anglais
Options de recherche avancée
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

172 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

Hyndman House

10123 - 136 Street.
This house is the work of prominent Edmonton architect, George Heath MacDonald, who had already designed several of the city's important public buildings in the neo-classical style. However on this project he experimented with modernism, seeming to incorporate some elements of Art Deco, Moderne, and International Style.
MacDonald worked on this house for his friend Lou Hyndman. Born in Edmonton in 1904, Hyndman practiced law in the city after graduating from the University of Alberta. Premier E.C. Manning appointed him Master in Chambers in the Alberta Supreme Court, a position he held for more than twenty-five years. Hyndman chaired the Edmonton Planning Committee, and served on the Edmonton Public School Board. Louis and Muriel's son Lou Hyndman Jr. became well known as the MLA for Glenora and as provincial treasurer in the Lougheed government. The family owned this home from 1946 to 2002.

Margaret Martin Residence - Renovations

8324 - 106 Street.
Margaret Martin, a widow, owned a 320-acre farm on this site at the turn of the 20th century. In 1899 Margaret and her husband, David, left their North Dakota home to settle in the Canadian North West. David set off with livestock and farm machinery in April to secure the land, and Margaret followed in July with their eleven children. Sadly, one small daughter died of pneumonia shortly after they arrived. Eighteen months later, David died of the same illness. The family buried both loved ones on their farm, at what is now Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
Margaret commissioned the architectural firm of Magoon, Hopkins and James to design this Foursquare, Prairie-style home in 1907. The firm later became Magoon and MacDonald Associates that built the Metals Building, Tegler Building, McDougall United Church, Salvation Army Citadel, St. Stephen's College, and other Edmonton landmarks.
The Martin family moved into what was then 18 Second Street West, Strathcona, the only house on the west side of the street until 1910. The remaining area of Martin Estates, the name given to the newly subdivided farmland, eventually became the communities of Pleasantview and Parkallen.
Margaret died in 1940, leaving the home in her daughter Edith’s care. The Martin children created their own legacy in Edmonton. Grace Martin McEachern became a well known school teacher. Helen Martin married Cecil Rutherford, the only son of Alberta's first premier, A.C. Rutherford. David Quincy Martin worked for thirty years with the Alberta Liquor Control Board after marrying Lova Shaw, daughter of H.V. Shaw, proprietor of Edmonton Cigar Factory.

McLean House

10454 - 84 Avenue.
Arthur McLean, a pioneer businessman, came to what was South Edmonton from Manitoba in 1892. Mr. McLean was elected to town council in 1901 and was active in community affairs. He sat on the local school board and helped establish Holy Trinity Anglican Church while owning and operating a hardware business on Whyte Avenue until he passed away in 1916.
In 1896 the Bisset brothers constructed this best remaining example of a Gothic revival or Carpenter Gothic style residence, typical in type and size to those built by new and prominent members of Strathcona. Mrs. McLean continued to live in the house until her death in 1951. Family members owned the property until 1976 when it was purchased by the Old Strathcona Foundation. Presently, this residence is privately owned and remains the longest serving modern residence in Edmonton.

Résultats 31 à 40 sur 172