10544 - 84 Avenue. On May 21, 1912 Delmar Bard obtained building permit number 259 to construct this wonderful neo-Georgian style home. The permit listed Mr. Bard as the contractor and Mr. L. Keith as architect, and the cost was estimated at $6,500. Once completed this 2.5 storey, 427 square metre residence was an outstanding addition to this area. Delmar Bard came from the American mid-west to Alberta in 1896. He worked at various occupations including Indian agent, provincial roads and bridge inspector and real estate speculator. His ingenuity is reflected in several aspects of the house. One main feature of the home is a built-in central vacuum system. Also, he installed an automobile turntable in front of the garage so he would not have to reverse his vehicle out of the driveway. This has since been removed. The interior of the home is lavishly furnished with period stained glass windows imported from France. Fine oak woodwork is found throughout the home and the ceilings are trimmed with dentilled moulding. Built-in bookcases, leatherette wallpaper, and some period light fixtures add to the charm of this residence. Following Delmar's death in 1938, the home was subdivided into suites. These divisions were later removed by Sue Bard, granddaughter of the original owner.
900 - 10310 Jasper Avenue. Henry Birks and Sons began their business in Montreal in 1879. They were descendants of a family of silversmiths who had practiced their trade in England since the 15th century. In 1927, Birks bought the successful jewelry store owned by D.A. Kirkland, the "Diamond Prince of Edmonton". The Birks building was designed by Montreal architects Nobbs and Hyde and built by local contractor H.G. MacDonald at a cost of $350,000. Over five thousand people attended the opening of the store in November, 1929. The store featured 200 feet of counters and large display windows. This building and the one in Montreal are the only original Birks buildings still standing in Canada. The first two floors of the building are fronted with Tennessee marble. This marble is faced by buff and red Flemish bond brick and trimmed with squares of mosaic tile decoration and patterned metal panels. In keeping with company policy across Canada, Birks reserved most of the office space in the upper floors for medical and dental offices, as a public service. This was the first building in Edmonton which was designed especially for medical offices, incorporating features suggested by doctors.