Print preview Close

Showing 4335 results

Archivistische beschrijving
City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds Stuk
Print preview View:

4335 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Arthur Davies Residence - East

10606 - 84 Avenue
This large brick Queen Anne style residence was built in about the year 1907 by Arthur Davies.
Mr. Davies was prominent in Strathcona's commercial and political life after 1895, and his grocery emporium was well known. He served as Strathcona's mayor in 1905 and once again in 1911, overseeing the amalgamation of the Cities of Strathcona and Edmonton. Mr. Davies earned recognition as the "Father of Greater Edmonton".
The Davies house design incorporates twin, two storey bow windows and classical details including sandstone string courses and lintels. A second storey balcony is supported by Tuscan columns from the porch below, and the underside of the roof.

Hugh Duncan Residence

8520 - 104 Street
Hugh Duncan commissioned John Sanford to build a large, embellished version of a Foursquare home for his family here in 1911. At the time, the Edwardian era Foursquares were the most popular house style on the prairies, projecting a modest dignity: symmetrical and simplistic in ornamentation, yet lavish in stature and domesticity. This house features a flared bell cast roof with curved dormer windows, tapered posts supporting a full-length open veranda, a projected front door entrance, a north-facing bay window, and keystone details above the ground floor windows.
Hugh and Clara Duncan, together with their children Edgar, Grace, and Brock, truly made what was then 60 Main Street North a fine home after it was completed in 1912. Edgar, wounded in Passchendaele during the First World War, returned here to study engineering at the University of Alberta. Brock followed in his father's footsteps, and established the Jasper Place Pharmacy. He later took over his father's business, Duncan's Drug Store on Whyte Avenue, after Hugh's death in 1935. Grace became a teacher and lived here with her family until the city bought the house in the 1960s.
Two decades later, the Old Strathcona Foundation purchased and renovated the residence for use as its organizational headquarters.

George Durrand Residence

10417 Saskatchewan Drive.
The Durrand Residence is valued for its association with the Durrand family, who were representative of the type of entrepreneurial and professional families that began to populate the city of Strathcona early in the twentieth century. The house was later home to Harold Gould Macdonald, a noted Edmontonian and founder of the H.G. Macdonald Company of contractors that has grown into the well-recognized firm of Christensen and Macdonald. He lived in the house until 1923.

George Durrand Residence - SE

10417 Saskatchewan Drive.
The Durrand Residence is valued for its association with the Durrand family, who were representative of the type of entrepreneurial and professional families that began to populate the city of Strathcona early in the twentieth century. The house was later home to Harold Gould Macdonald, a noted Edmontonian and founder of the H.G. Macdonald Company of contractors that has grown into the well-recognized firm of Christensen and Macdonald. He lived in the house until 1923.

Edmonton 1881 School

10425 - 99 Avenue.
Edmonton's First Public School.
Created in 1881 by public subscription and built on this site which was donated by the Hudson's Bay Company, Edmonton's first public school was later replaced by the long lasting McKay Avenue School where Alberta's first legislature met in 1906.

First Presbyterian Church - S

10025 - 105 Street.
The history of the First Presbyterian Church can by traced to the origins of Edmonton as a settlement. Reverend Andrew Baird established the first Presbyterian congregation in Alberta in 1881. The congregation outgrew its two earlier church buildings before this impressive building was designed. First Presbyterian Church was opened in 1912 by Reverend David G. McQueen. It is the oldest church of this denomination in Edmonton and is certainly the largest. Designed by the Edmonton firm of Arthur G. Wilson and David E. Herrald the church is a monument to the dedication and devotion of its congregation.

Resultaten 51 tot 60 van 4335