Print preview Close

Showing 4335 results

Archivistische beschrijving
City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds Stuk
Print preview View:

4335 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Birks Building - Corner Entrance

900 - 10310 Jasper Avenue. Henry Birks and Sons began their business in Montreal in 1879. They were descendants of a family of silversmiths who had practiced their trade in England since the 15th century. In 1927, Birks bought the successful jewelry store owned by D.A. Kirkland, the "Diamond Prince of Edmonton". The Birks building was designed by Montreal architects Nobbs and Hyde and built by local contractor H.G. MacDonald at a cost of $350,000. Over five thousand people attended the opening of the store in November, 1929. The store featured 200 feet of counters and large display windows.
This building and the one in Montreal are the only original Birks buildings still standing in Canada.
The first two floors of the building are fronted with Tennessee marble. This marble is faced by buff and red Flemish bond brick and trimmed with squares of mosaic tile decoration and patterned metal panels. In keeping with company policy across Canada, Birks reserved most of the office space in the upper floors for medical and dental offices, as a public service. This was the first building in Edmonton which was designed especially for medical offices, incorporating features suggested by doctors.

Birks Building - Metal Detail

900 - 10310 Jasper Avenue. Henry Birks and Sons began their business in Montreal in 1879. They were descendants of a family of silversmiths who had practiced their trade in England since the 15th century. In 1927, Birks bought the successful jewelry store owned by D.A. Kirkland, the "Diamond Prince of Edmonton". The Birks building was designed by Montreal architects Nobbs and Hyde and built by local contractor H.G. MacDonald at a cost of $350,000. Over five thousand people attended the opening of the store in November, 1929. The store featured 200 feet of counters and large display windows.
This building and the one in Montreal are the only original Birks buildings still standing in Canada.
The first two floors of the building are fronted with Tennessee marble. This marble is faced by buff and red Flemish bond brick and trimmed with squares of mosaic tile decoration and patterned metal panels. In keeping with company policy across Canada, Birks reserved most of the office space in the upper floors for medical and dental offices, as a public service. This was the first building in Edmonton which was designed especially for medical offices, incorporating features suggested by doctors.

Birks Building - Panel Detail

900 - 10310 Jasper Avenue. Henry Birks and Sons began their business in Montreal in 1879. They were descendants of a family of silversmiths who had practiced their trade in England since the 15th century. In 1927, Birks bought the successful jewelry store owned by D.A. Kirkland, the "Diamond Prince of Edmonton". The Birks building was designed by Montreal architects Nobbs and Hyde and built by local contractor H.G. MacDonald at a cost of $350,000. Over five thousand people attended the opening of the store in November, 1929. The store featured 200 feet of counters and large display windows.
This building and the one in Montreal are the only original Birks buildings still standing in Canada.
The first two floors of the building are fronted with Tennessee marble. This marble is faced by buff and red Flemish bond brick and trimmed with squares of mosaic tile decoration and patterned metal panels. In keeping with company policy across Canada, Birks reserved most of the office space in the upper floors for medical and dental offices, as a public service. This was the first building in Edmonton which was designed especially for medical offices, incorporating features suggested by doctors.

Birks Building - Window Detail

900 - 10310 Jasper Avenue. Henry Birks and Sons began their business in Montreal in 1879. They were descendants of a family of silversmiths who had practiced their trade in England since the 15th century. In 1927, Birks bought the successful jewelry store owned by D.A. Kirkland, the "Diamond Prince of Edmonton". The Birks building was designed by Montreal architects Nobbs and Hyde and built by local contractor H.G. MacDonald at a cost of $350,000. Over five thousand people attended the opening of the store in November, 1929. The store featured 200 feet of counters and large display windows.
This building and the one in Montreal are the only original Birks buildings still standing in Canada.
The first two floors of the building are fronted with Tennessee marble. This marble is faced by buff and red Flemish bond brick and trimmed with squares of mosaic tile decoration and patterned metal panels. In keeping with company policy across Canada, Birks reserved most of the office space in the upper floors for medical and dental offices, as a public service. This was the first building in Edmonton which was designed especially for medical offices, incorporating features suggested by doctors.

Birks Building

900 - 10310 Jasper Avenue. Henry Birks and Sons began their business in Montreal in 1879. They were descendants of a family of silversmiths who had practiced their trade in England since the 15th century. In 1927, Birks bought the successful jewelry store owned by D.A. Kirkland, the "Diamond Prince of Edmonton". The Birks building was designed by Montreal architects Nobbs and Hyde and built by local contractor H.G. MacDonald at a cost of $350,000. Over five thousand people attended the opening of the store in November, 1929. The store featured 200 feet of counters and large display windows.
This building and the one in Montreal are the only original Birks buildings still standing in Canada.
The first two floors of the building are fronted with Tennessee marble. This marble is faced by buff and red Flemish bond brick and trimmed with squares of mosaic tile decoration and patterned metal panels. In keeping with company policy across Canada, Birks reserved most of the office space in the upper floors for medical and dental offices, as a public service. This was the first building in Edmonton which was designed especially for medical offices, incorporating features suggested by doctors.

Boardwalk Building - E

10310 - 102 Avenue. In 1910 Ross Brothers retail and wholesale dealers built what was considered one of the most modern hardware warehouses in Western Canada. The Boardwalk was designed by E.C. Hopkins, and built by Pheasey and Baston. From this time on this area became a focal point in Edmonton's commercial and warehouse district during its first major boom preceding the First World War.
From 1910 to 1912 Ross Bros. operated this building. James Ross had arrived in Edmonton in 1878 and was a town alderman on four occasions. From 1912 until 1921 Marshall Wells Hardware owned the building, and in the fifty years between 1921 and 1971 Ashdowne Hardware, whose painted logo was for many years a feature of this corner, carried on the business. In 1928 and 1940 additions were made.
N.A. Properties, the current owners, completed a major restoration of the building. It is considered as the largest and best example of Second Renaissance Revival style in Edmonton.

Brighton Block / Ernest Brown Block

9670 Jasper Avenue.
This three-storey brick and stone structure was built in 1912 for Ernest Brown, a local photographer, artist and historian. Housing his studio and historic photographic collections, the building central parapet featured a sign, "Everything Photographic. Ernest Brown Block 1912." Traces of the lettering still remain.
The building also represents one of the last vestiges of early commercial development in Edmonton's downtown core. It is one of a group of buildings constructed before the First World War and part of Edmonton's first development boom.
Known also as the Brown Block, the building was erected in two symmetrical sections and cost about $30,000. Built of brick and steel with stone dressings to decorate the 33 foot frontage, the block was designed by James Henderson.

Buena Vista Apartments - North

12327 - 102 Avenue.
This building was constructed in 1912 as an apartment and retail complex on land purchased by a group of investors from Edmonton pioneer Malcolm Groat. These investors, collectively known as the River View Land Company, included Edmonton florist Walter Ramsay and well-known physician Dr. Edgar Allin.
Herbert Magoon and George H. Macdonald designed this three storey red brick structure. The upper floors had hardwood floors, transoms with high ceilings and natural gas fireplaces. The Edmonton Bulletin described it as, "...a most desireable residential property in the west end."
Residents of the 10 apartments likely did most of their grocery shopping at City Grocery Number 2, a major tenant on the main floor. The advertisements for the food store can still be seen on the upper wall of the south side of the building. In the 1950's an annex was built on the eastern end of the building and housed more suites and a bank.
Over the years the building has accommodated various tenants including several restaurants and drugstores. But perhaps the apartment's most famous tenant was World War I ace and legendary bush pilot Wilfrid "Wop" May.

Resultaten 31 tot 40 van 4335