Affichage de 4357 résultats

Description archivistique
City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds
Options de recherche avancée
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

4350 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

Cowles Drug Store

10347/10349 - 82 Avenue
After starting business in a shack at 104 Street and Whyte Avenue, Frank Cowles built his first drug store on this site in 1895. This was one of the first drug stores in Strathcona and an active center during the Gold Rush of 1898. Later the store was moved next door to 10349 - Whyte Avenue and continued operating until 1965. After Frank's death in 1939, the sons carried on operations at this location until 1965.

Arthur Davies Residence

10606 - 84 Avenue
This large brick Queen Anne style residence was built in about the year 1907 by Arthur Davies.
Mr. Davies was prominent in Strathcona's commercial and political life after 1895, and his grocery emporium was well known. He served as Strathcona's mayor in 1905 and once again in 1911, overseeing the amalgamation of the Cities of Strathcona and Edmonton. Mr. Davies earned recognition as the "Father of Greater Edmonton".
The Davies house design incorporates twin, two storey bow windows and classical details including sandstone string courses and lintels. A second storey balcony is supported by Tuscan columns from the porch below, and the underside of the roof.

Arthur Davies Residence -SE

10606 - 84 Avenue
This large brick Queen Anne style residence was built in about the year 1907 by Arthur Davies.
Mr. Davies was prominent in Strathcona's commercial and political life after 1895, and his grocery emporium was well known. He served as Strathcona's mayor in 1905 and once again in 1911, overseeing the amalgamation of the Cities of Strathcona and Edmonton. Mr. Davies earned recognition as the "Father of Greater Edmonton".
The Davies house design incorporates twin, two storey bow windows and classical details including sandstone string courses and lintels. A second storey balcony is supported by Tuscan columns from the porch below, and the underside of the roof.

Arthur Davies Residence - East

10606 - 84 Avenue
This large brick Queen Anne style residence was built in about the year 1907 by Arthur Davies.
Mr. Davies was prominent in Strathcona's commercial and political life after 1895, and his grocery emporium was well known. He served as Strathcona's mayor in 1905 and once again in 1911, overseeing the amalgamation of the Cities of Strathcona and Edmonton. Mr. Davies earned recognition as the "Father of Greater Edmonton".
The Davies house design incorporates twin, two storey bow windows and classical details including sandstone string courses and lintels. A second storey balcony is supported by Tuscan columns from the porch below, and the underside of the roof.

Arthur Davies Residence - SW

10606 - 84 Avenue
This large brick Queen Anne style residence was built in about the year 1907 by Arthur Davies.
Mr. Davies was prominent in Strathcona's commercial and political life after 1895, and his grocery emporium was well known. He served as Strathcona's mayor in 1905 and once again in 1911, overseeing the amalgamation of the Cities of Strathcona and Edmonton. Mr. Davies earned recognition as the "Father of Greater Edmonton".
The Davies house design incorporates twin, two storey bow windows and classical details including sandstone string courses and lintels. A second storey balcony is supported by Tuscan columns from the porch below, and the underside of the roof.

Hugh Duncan Residence

8520 - 104 Street
Hugh Duncan commissioned John Sanford to build a large, embellished version of a Foursquare home for his family here in 1911. At the time, the Edwardian era Foursquares were the most popular house style on the prairies, projecting a modest dignity: symmetrical and simplistic in ornamentation, yet lavish in stature and domesticity. This house features a flared bell cast roof with curved dormer windows, tapered posts supporting a full-length open veranda, a projected front door entrance, a north-facing bay window, and keystone details above the ground floor windows.
Hugh and Clara Duncan, together with their children Edgar, Grace, and Brock, truly made what was then 60 Main Street North a fine home after it was completed in 1912. Edgar, wounded in Passchendaele during the First World War, returned here to study engineering at the University of Alberta. Brock followed in his father's footsteps, and established the Jasper Place Pharmacy. He later took over his father's business, Duncan's Drug Store on Whyte Avenue, after Hugh's death in 1935. Grace became a teacher and lived here with her family until the city bought the house in the 1960s.
Two decades later, the Old Strathcona Foundation purchased and renovated the residence for use as its organizational headquarters.

Résultats 31 à 40 sur 4357