Aperçu avant impression Fermer

Affichage de 172 résultats

Description archivistique
City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds Houses Anglais
Options de recherche avancée
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

172 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

George S. Armstrong Residence - NE

10050 - 117 Street. George S. Armstrong, City of Edmonton Alderman from 1908 to 1910, and Mayor from 1911 to 1912 lived here. Mr. Armstrong was an active participant in the social, business and political life of the city. He was first mayor of the amalgamated cities of Edmonton and Strathcona. After declining to seek re-election as mayor he was named southside Postmaster in 1913 and retired from the Post Office in 1937. He also ran a successful drug store on 97th Street and 103 A Avenue. George S. Armstrong is remembered as a hardworking, fair and honest person who served our city well during a time of rapid change and growth.

George S. Armstrong Residence

10050 - 117 Street. George S. Armstrong, City of Edmonton Alderman from 1908 to 1910, and Mayor from 1911 to 1912 lived here. Mr. Armstrong was an active participant in the social, business and political life of the city. He was first mayor of the amalgamated cities of Edmonton and Strathcona. After declining to seek re-election as mayor he was named southside Postmaster in 1913 and retired from the Post Office in 1937. He also ran a successful drug store on 97th Street and 103 A Avenue. George S. Armstrong is remembered as a hardworking, fair and honest person who served our city well during a time of rapid change and growth.

Hyndman House

10123 - 136 Street.
This house is the work of prominent Edmonton architect, George Heath MacDonald, who had already designed several of the city's important public buildings in the neo-classical style. However on this project he experimented with modernism, seeming to incorporate some elements of Art Deco, Moderne, and International Style.
MacDonald worked on this house for his friend Lou Hyndman. Born in Edmonton in 1904, Hyndman practiced law in the city after graduating from the University of Alberta. Premier E.C. Manning appointed him Master in Chambers in the Alberta Supreme Court, a position he held for more than twenty-five years. Hyndman chaired the Edmonton Planning Committee, and served on the Edmonton Public School Board. Louis and Muriel's son Lou Hyndman Jr. became well known as the MLA for Glenora and as provincial treasurer in the Lougheed government. The family owned this home from 1946 to 2002.

Hyndman House

10123 - 136 Street.
This house is the work of prominent Edmonton architect, George Heath MacDonald, who had already designed several of the city's important public buildings in the neo-classical style. However on this project he experimented with modernism, seeming to incorporate some elements of Art Deco, Moderne, and International Style.
MacDonald worked on this house for his friend Lou Hyndman. Born in Edmonton in 1904, Hyndman practiced law in the city after graduating from the University of Alberta. Premier E.C. Manning appointed him Master in Chambers in the Alberta Supreme Court, a position he held for more than twenty-five years. Hyndman chaired the Edmonton Planning Committee, and served on the Edmonton Public School Board. Louis and Muriel's son Lou Hyndman Jr. became well known as the MLA for Glenora and as provincial treasurer in the Lougheed government. The family owned this home from 1946 to 2002.

Hyndman House

10123 - 136 Street.
This house is the work of prominent Edmonton architect, George Heath MacDonald, who had already designed several of the city's important public buildings in the neo-classical style. However on this project he experimented with modernism, seeming to incorporate some elements of Art Deco, Moderne, and International Style.
MacDonald worked on this house for his friend Lou Hyndman. Born in Edmonton in 1904, Hyndman practiced law in the city after graduating from the University of Alberta. Premier E.C. Manning appointed him Master in Chambers in the Alberta Supreme Court, a position he held for more than twenty-five years. Hyndman chaired the Edmonton Planning Committee, and served on the Edmonton Public School Board. Louis and Muriel's son Lou Hyndman Jr. became well known as the MLA for Glenora and as provincial treasurer in the Lougheed government. The family owned this home from 1946 to 2002.

Hyndman House

10123 - 136 Street.
This house is the work of prominent Edmonton architect, George Heath MacDonald, who had already designed several of the city's important public buildings in the neo-classical style. However on this project he experimented with modernism, seeming to incorporate some elements of Art Deco, Moderne, and International Style.
MacDonald worked on this house for his friend Lou Hyndman. Born in Edmonton in 1904, Hyndman practiced law in the city after graduating from the University of Alberta. Premier E.C. Manning appointed him Master in Chambers in the Alberta Supreme Court, a position he held for more than twenty-five years. Hyndman chaired the Edmonton Planning Committee, and served on the Edmonton Public School Board. Louis and Muriel's son Lou Hyndman Jr. became well known as the MLA for Glenora and as provincial treasurer in the Lougheed government. The family owned this home from 1946 to 2002.

Hyndman House

10123 - 136 Street.
This house is the work of prominent Edmonton architect, George Heath MacDonald, who had already designed several of the city's important public buildings in the neo-classical style. However on this project he experimented with modernism, seeming to incorporate some elements of Art Deco, Moderne, and International Style.
MacDonald worked on this house for his friend Lou Hyndman. Born in Edmonton in 1904, Hyndman practiced law in the city after graduating from the University of Alberta. Premier E.C. Manning appointed him Master in Chambers in the Alberta Supreme Court, a position he held for more than twenty-five years. Hyndman chaired the Edmonton Planning Committee, and served on the Edmonton Public School Board. Louis and Muriel's son Lou Hyndman Jr. became well known as the MLA for Glenora and as provincial treasurer in the Lougheed government. The family owned this home from 1946 to 2002.

Margaret Martin Residence

8324 - 106 Street.
Margaret Martin, a widow, owned a 320-acre farm on this site at the turn of the 20th century. In 1899 Margaret and her husband, David, left their North Dakota home to settle in the Canadian North West. David set off with livestock and farm machinery in April to secure the land, and Margaret followed in July with their eleven children. Sadly, one small daughter died of pneumonia shortly after they arrived. Eighteen months later, David died of the same illness. The family buried both loved ones on their farm, at what is now Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
Margaret commissioned the architectural firm of Magoon, Hopkins and James to design this Foursquare, Prairie-style home in 1907. The firm later became Magoon and MacDonald Associates that built the Metals Building, Tegler Building, McDougall United Church, Salvation Army Citadel, St. Stephen's College, and other Edmonton landmarks.
The Martin family moved into what was then 18 Second Street West, Strathcona, the only house on the west side of the street until 1910. The remaining area of Martin Estates, the name given to the newly subdivided farmland, eventually became the communities of Pleasantview and Parkallen.
Margaret died in 1940, leaving the home in her daughter Edith’s care. The Martin children created their own legacy in Edmonton. Grace Martin McEachern became a well known school teacher. Helen Martin married Cecil Rutherford, the only son of Alberta's first premier, A.C. Rutherford. David Quincy Martin worked for thirty years with the Alberta Liquor Control Board after marrying Lova Shaw, daughter of H.V. Shaw, proprietor of Edmonton Cigar Factory.

Margaret Martin Residence - Renovations

8324 - 106 Street.
Margaret Martin, a widow, owned a 320-acre farm on this site at the turn of the 20th century. In 1899 Margaret and her husband, David, left their North Dakota home to settle in the Canadian North West. David set off with livestock and farm machinery in April to secure the land, and Margaret followed in July with their eleven children. Sadly, one small daughter died of pneumonia shortly after they arrived. Eighteen months later, David died of the same illness. The family buried both loved ones on their farm, at what is now Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
Margaret commissioned the architectural firm of Magoon, Hopkins and James to design this Foursquare, Prairie-style home in 1907. The firm later became Magoon and MacDonald Associates that built the Metals Building, Tegler Building, McDougall United Church, Salvation Army Citadel, St. Stephen's College, and other Edmonton landmarks.
The Martin family moved into what was then 18 Second Street West, Strathcona, the only house on the west side of the street until 1910. The remaining area of Martin Estates, the name given to the newly subdivided farmland, eventually became the communities of Pleasantview and Parkallen.
Margaret died in 1940, leaving the home in her daughter Edith’s care. The Martin children created their own legacy in Edmonton. Grace Martin McEachern became a well known school teacher. Helen Martin married Cecil Rutherford, the only son of Alberta's first premier, A.C. Rutherford. David Quincy Martin worked for thirty years with the Alberta Liquor Control Board after marrying Lova Shaw, daughter of H.V. Shaw, proprietor of Edmonton Cigar Factory.

Margaret Martin Residence - N

8324 - 106 Street.
Margaret Martin, a widow, owned a 320-acre farm on this site at the turn of the 20th century. In 1899 Margaret and her husband, David, left their North Dakota home to settle in the Canadian North West. David set off with livestock and farm machinery in April to secure the land, and Margaret followed in July with their eleven children. Sadly, one small daughter died of pneumonia shortly after they arrived. Eighteen months later, David died of the same illness. The family buried both loved ones on their farm, at what is now Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
Margaret commissioned the architectural firm of Magoon, Hopkins and James to design this Foursquare, Prairie-style home in 1907. The firm later became Magoon and MacDonald Associates that built the Metals Building, Tegler Building, McDougall United Church, Salvation Army Citadel, St. Stephen's College, and other Edmonton landmarks.
The Martin family moved into what was then 18 Second Street West, Strathcona, the only house on the west side of the street until 1910. The remaining area of Martin Estates, the name given to the newly subdivided farmland, eventually became the communities of Pleasantview and Parkallen.
Margaret died in 1940, leaving the home in her daughter Edith’s care. The Martin children created their own legacy in Edmonton. Grace Martin McEachern became a well known school teacher. Helen Martin married Cecil Rutherford, the only son of Alberta's first premier, A.C. Rutherford. David Quincy Martin worked for thirty years with the Alberta Liquor Control Board after marrying Lova Shaw, daughter of H.V. Shaw, proprietor of Edmonton Cigar Factory.

Résultats 21 à 30 sur 172