The fonds consists of a collection of historical sketches on the Riverdale area created by Amos Skinner. It includes lists of street names in Riverdale and of Principals at Riverdale School. The records include references to Mr. D.B. Fraser, Fraser’s Mill and Mr. J.B. Little. The community of Riverdale is located along the North Saskatchewan River. Settlers arriving in the 1880s were quick to develop this large flat area, which was just one mile downstream from Fort Edmonton. One of the first arrivals was Daniel Robert Fraser, who started a flour and sawmill in the flats in 1881. The area became known as Fraser Flats until the community changed the name to Riverdale in 1910.
This fonds consists of a copy of Canadian Florist, Aug. 16, 1958, containing an article on Walter Ramsay, “Alberta pioneer florist”, by Rene Hobbins, p. 8. The photograph is of the Ramsay home and greenhouses, Victoria Ave., between 110 St. and 111 St., Edmonton AB, [ca. 1914].
This fonds consists of one letter from H(?) Garneau, Agent of Dominion Lands, Edmonton AB to Alfred Hutchings, Edmonton AB, enclosing Certificate of Recommendation for Homestead Patent for NE-4-54-24-W4, (NE 1/4 of Section 4, Township 54 Range 24 W of the 4th), with information about pre-emption for NW-4-54-24-W4, dated at Edmonton, 17th December 1886.
The fonds consists of papers relating to Iain C. Taylor's participation in Action Edmonton, an inner city social action group (1974-1975), and the Urban Reform Group Edmonton, a civic political party (1975-1982). It also contains reports and studies on urban and rural planning issues.
This fonds consists of an oversize decorated marriage certificate with photographs for Lester Hadley, White Whale [Wabamun] Lake AB and Georgina Maria Riley, Filmore SK, June 27, 1907. The marriage occurred at Edmonton AB, officiated by J.H. Riddell, Principal, Alberta College. The photographs are portraits of Lester Hadley and Georgina Riley.
The fonds consists of personal and business documents of George and Eva Graham. File List: File 1: cancelled cheque from Geo. L. Graham to George S. Hill, 1906; invoice, Graham and Reid, home furnishers, Edmonton AB, 1918 File 2: ticket to Walsingham Fall Fair (Ontario), 1913; letters 1932-1940; Christmas Card, n.d File 3: Merchants Bank of Canada cheque book, 1913; birthdate and address book, ca. 1934.
The fonds consists of Edward Bell’s account of becoming a teacher and then principal of Bennett School, including teaching in the school’s temporary accommodations on the second floor of a house in 1912 while awaiting construction of the school building. The Bennett School moved into their new building on Gallagher flats in the spring of 1913. The photograph is of the temporary classroom that was used before the Bennett School building was opened.
The collection consists of items from, or advertising, the Alberta Hotel. File List: File 1 - Alberta Hotel advertisement on ribbon featuring a list of hotel rules and schedules as well as advertisements for Edmonton businesses [ca. 1910]. File 2 - Alberta Hotel envelope, addressed to ‘Alec Cote, City’.
This fonds consists of a menu card, a manuscript account of Peter Anderson’s escape from a prisoner-of-war camp in Germany during World War I; a letter written from the Bischofswerda camp to his son, Bert; humorous regimental orders and a uniform button for the 101st Edmonton Fusiliers (9th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force). The photographs include Peter Anderson and family, Peter Anderson in military uniform and Sandison’s Brickyard.