Meters were used to account for the amount of electricity used, and money owed, to the City. The meters were originally installed, read, and maintained by the Electric Light and Power Department. To save time and money, the meters were read by the Meter Reading Section of the Electric Light and Power Department, which then charged the Waterworks Department a fee for the service. In 1934 a Billing Section was established, which existed outside of the department and worked for both the Electric Light and Power Department and the Water Works Department. By 1950 its responsibilities included: meter reading, customer billing, consumer accounts receivable, bill delivery, rate and consumption statistics, receipt of applications, and customer complaints and adjustments regarding charges and consumption.
This series contains records which reflect the work performed by City employees relating to the installation, recording, maintenance, and removal of electricity meters.
File 1: Meter Book (1906)
File 2: Meter Record Book (n.d.)
File 3: Service Request and Meter Removal Order, Delton Hardware (1913-1919)
File 4: Record Book: work, maintenance, etc. (ca. 1931-1951)