The collection consists of personal items, photographs, stories, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings and memorabilia relating to the experiences of some Edmontonians in the Second World War. There are also two books – ‘The Royal Canadian Legion 1926-1986’ (369.271 ROY SWI 1986) and ‘Valour Remembered: Canada and the Second World War 1939-1945’ (940.540 GIE c. 2).
This fonds consists of a proclamation, “A la population de Mons”, marking the end of World War I on 11 Nov 1918. It was given to Frank William Wiggins by Jean Lescarts, Burgomaster of Mons, Belgium, on that day in appreciation of the ending of WWI, paying tribute to the soldiers of the Commonwealth.
The collection consists of records transferred from the Greater Vernon Museum and Archives, as better fitting the mandate of the City of Edmonton Archives.
Sheet music - The Boys of the Great Western Plains, words and music by Pte. W. Watson, 138th Batt., CEF, Edmonton; dedicated to the 49th Canadian CEF Edmonton Alberta Batt'n (Loyal Edmonton Regiment), [ca. 1918].
Postcard - (of Field, BC and Mt. Stephen), addressed to Mrs. Mohr; Souvenir Programme - Souvenir to Commemorate the Fortieth Year of the Ministry of Rev. D.G. McQueen, 1927 - annotated with Mrs. Mohr, Vernon.
Souvenir Programme - The Visit of Their Most Gracious Majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to the Province of Alberta, Edmonton, 1939.
The fonds consists of three scrapbooks relating to HMCS Nonsuch activities from 1956 to 1962. Additional materials include 2 copies of a brief history of the unit written by the Rev. J.E. McGrane (Chaplain) in 1962 and the programme from the commissioning of the HMCS Nonsuch in September 1975.
The fonds consists of two photographs of Fort Walsh, a former fort of the North West Mounted Police (N.W.M.P.) located in Saskatchewan near the Canada/U.S. border. The first photograph is of the original fort in 1878. The second photograph is approximately the same view in the 1940s showing the reconstructed fort, with horses roaming in front. The fonds also includes a 1905 Driscoll’s Map of Edmonton, 2nd Edition (EAM-48).
The fonds consists of a photograph of the Officers of the 49th Battalion, Edmonton Regiment taken one day after the armistice of WWI (November 11, 1918). The 49th Battalion, Edmonton Regiment, CEF, was authorized in November 1914 under the command of Lt. Col. W.A. Griesbach and embarked for England in June 1915. The troops went to France in October 1915, where they fought as part of the 7th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war. The battalion was disbanded September 1920.