This fonds consists of material collected and created by Reg Appleyard, Doug Matheson, Rev. Harry Meadows, Matheson and Company, and the staff of Meadowcroft Seniors’ Residence through their function of running the Meadowcroft corporations and providing quality affordable housing in Edmonton between 1969 and 2010. It contains legal documents, correspondence, reports, committee minutes, pamphlets, photos, plans, audiovisual material and a book, ‘The Meadow’s Story’ (922.77 ROB). The fonds been arranged into five sous-fonds and various series. The sous-fonds are as follows (with overall dates): Sous-fonds 1 – Meadowcroft Housing Corporation Series 1 – Administration (1971-1977) Series 2 – Financial Statements (1974-2009) Series 3 – Letterhead (n.d.) Series 4 – Correspondence (1969- 2001) Series 5 – Meadowcroft Seniors’ Residence Management and Staff (1972-2004) Series 6 – Meadowcroft Seniors’ Residence Renovations (1978-2001) Series 7 – Meadowcroft Seniors’ Residence Mechanical Systems (1980-2007) Series 8 – Events (1973-2002) Series 9 – Meadowcroft Tenants’ Association (1973-2005) Series 10 – Douglas Tower ([ca. 1996]) Series 11 – Matheson and Company (1976-1987) Sous-fonds 2 – Meadowcroft Holdings Series 1 – Administration (1974-2007) Series 2 – Financial Statements (1975-2009) Series 3 – 11115, 11141 and 11145 – 84 Avenue (1976) Series 4 – Sherbrooke Townhouses (2008-2009) Series 5 – Matheson and Company (1974-1985) Sous-fonds 3 – Meadowcroft Housing Society of Edmonton Series 1 – Administration (1977) Series 2 – Financial Statements (1977-2009) Series 3 – Correspondence relating to Brentwood Homes (1976-1979) Series 4 – Brentwood Homes Land Acquistion (1976-1977) Series 5 – Brentwood Homes Renovations (1977-1980) Series 6 – Appraisal of Brentwood Homes (1980) Series 7 – Brentwood Homes Phase II (1978-1983) Series 8 – Mortgage Renewal (1988) Series 9 – Loans to Other Organizations (2003-2008) Series 10 – Matheson and Company (1977-1989) Sous-fonds 4 – Other Material Series 1 – History (2010) Series 2 – Conferences on Gerontology (1976-1996) Series 3 – Research material relating to Seniors (1976-2000) Sous-fonds 5 – Personal Correspondence Series 1 – Doug Matheson (1984)
This fonds consists of a proclamation, “A la population de Mons”, marking the end of World War I on 11 Nov 1918. It was given to Frank William Wiggins by Jean Lescarts, Burgomaster of Mons, Belgium, on that day in appreciation of the ending of WWI, paying tribute to the soldiers of the Commonwealth.
The fonds consists of two photographs of Fort Walsh, a former fort of the North West Mounted Police (N.W.M.P.) located in Saskatchewan near the Canada/U.S. border. The first photograph is of the original fort in 1878. The second photograph is approximately the same view in the 1940s showing the reconstructed fort, with horses roaming in front. The fonds also includes a 1905 Driscoll’s Map of Edmonton, 2nd Edition (EAM-48).
The fonds consists of photographs of farming activities on farms near Edmonton, possible Allan’s farm or farm of a neighbor or friend. The photographs include horse and steam powered agricultural equipment.
The fonds consists of a postcard photograph of a horse and wagon plowing team and a book ‘Incidents in the Life of John S. Sullivan and other Famous People’ by William C. Burns (921.BUR). The book is the personal reminiscences of William Burns who was a prize fighter but in later years resided at the Selkirk Hotel and was often known to stand on the corner of Jasper Ave and 101 St., telling ‘interesting yarns’ about his prize fighting days. The publishing of the book was funded by donations of William Burns’ friends. It is possible Thomas Walsh contributed to the publishing of the book.
The fonds consists of a photograph of Dr. A.H. Goodwin and family. Dr. Goodwin was the first dentist in Edmonton. Alexander Hooper Goodwin was born in 1968 to Elizabeth Wells and Cyrus Goodwin in New Brunswick. He married Selena (Lena) A. Taylor on 4 Jan 1898. By the following year, Alexander and Lena had settled in Edmonton and Alexander had established a dental practice on Jasper Ave. They had three children – Eleanor Beatrice, Lilian Alexandra, and William Taylor. Dr. Alexander Hooper Goodwin died 4 Mar 1964 in Edmonton.