Showing 21 results

Archival description
Subseries
Print preview View:

18 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Valley Zoo

This sub-series contains records created in the planning and operation of the Storyland Valley Zoo. The material includes correspondence as well as records relating to administration, strategic planning, facility and exhibit development, animal acquisition and care, programming, finances, personnel, external organizations, and media coverage.

The sub-series includes photographs of animals and zoo facilities around 1970 (EA-20-623 to EA-20-633), as well as postcards of Edmonton and photos of Fort Edmonton Park (EA-20-635 to EA-20-641), and historic photographs of the construction of the High Level Bridge, Fort Edmonton, the Legislature, and the Edmonton Ski Club (EA-20-642 to EA-20-645). The subseries also includes a set of postcards depicting the Valley Zoo from ca. 1970 (EA-20-5471 to EA-20-5500).

The file list was arranged by type of record.

Edmonton Valley Zoo

Universiade '83

The Parks and Recreation Department was very involved in the 1983 World University Games. The Department worked in conjunction with the Federation Internationale du Sportif Universitaire to schedule and prepare facilities for the games. The City of Edmonton also appointed an International Events Coordinator to deal almost exclusively with Universiade '83. The role of the Parks and Recreation Department also included finance and budgeting, transportation, and media and public relations.

This subseries includes administrative records including correspondence, reports, and minutes of committee meetings from the Universiade '83 Corporation and the City of Edmonton Parks and Recreation Department relating to the bid to host the 1983 World University Games and the subsequent organization of the event. There are also records relating to the organization and construction of facilities for Universiade '83, as well as correspondence, brochures, and programs from other major sporting events held in Edmonton and their relationship to Universiade '83. There are also bulletins, notices, and minutes of meetings from the Federation Internationale du Sportif Universitaire, and press clippings and media releases relating to Universiade '83.

Routine Orders

This sub-series contains records relating to routine orders from the Edmonton Ambulance Authority. This sub-series contains the following files:

  • File 1: Routine Orders (1988)
  • File 2: Routine Orders (1989)
  • File 3: Routine Orders (1990-1992)
  • File 4: Routine Orders (1993)

Recreation Facilities

This sub-series contains correspondence, reports, minutes, and other material relating to City recreation facilities. It also contains material from community organizations that worked closely with recreation facility staff.

Parks Administration

This sub-series consists of records relating to the provision, operation and maintenance of green space for Edmontonians such as parks, ravines and forestry, cemeteries, playgrounds, golf courses, and playing fields and the river valley. It includes subjects such as concessions, horticulture, boulevards, and weed and pest control. The records include surveys, reports, and studies relating to City lands.

Papal Visit

This sub-series contains records relating to the visit of Pope John Paul II to Edmonton in 1984. The records include planning documents from the Edmonton Ambulance Authority, as well as photographs of the event.

Operational Reports

This sub-series contains operational reports on major incidents responded to by the Edmonton Ambulance Authority, including the roller coaster accident at West Edmonton Mall, the Namao air crash, the Hinton train collision, and incidents at a Platinum Blonde concert and the Edmonton maximum security penitentiary.

Muttart Conservatory

Established in 1976, the Muttart Conservatory is a botanical garden owned and operated by the City of Edmonton. This subseries contains project files and meeting minutes created by staff at the Muttart Conservatory through the course of caring for the facility and providing programming for the public.

Golf Courses

The Edmonton Golf Club opened in 1907 with five holes. The City purchased the land (then known as the Golf Links) in 1912 from the Hudson's Bay Company, and began operating the course as a municipal enterprise - the first municipal golf course in Canada. The Golf Links was renamed Victoria Park and dedicated to public use in 1914. The course expanded in the 1920s from 9 holes to 18, and by 1951 the course offered 27 holes, though by 1954 it had reverted to 18 holes when the City needed some of the land for the Groat Bridge. In 1957 the name was officially changed to the Victoria Golf Course. The Victoria Driving Range opened in 1961.

In 1949 work began on a new municipal golf course. Riverside Golf Course opened in 1951 on the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River just north of the Dawson Bridge. Rundle Park Golf Course became the City’s third course when it opened in 1976.

The subseries consists of correspondence and financial records relating to golf courses operated by the City of Edmonton. The subseries contains the following files:

  • File 1: Golf Courses - Correspondence (February - December 1962)
  • File 2: Golf: Master Plan - Correspondence (June 1968 - January 1969)
  • File 3: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1952-1967)
  • File 4: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1968-1978)
  • File 5: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1961-1970)
  • File 6: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1970-1972)
  • File 7: Riverside Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1980-1981)
Results 1 to 10 of 21