Imprimir vista previa Cerrar

Mostrando 21 resultados

Descripción archivística
Subserie
Imprimir vista previa Ver :

18 resultados con objetos digitales Muestra los resultados con objetos digitales

Commissioners' Reports (1906-1932)

The files in Sub-series 10.1 consist of an accounts ledger (1909-1920); Commissioner's reports to City Council (1923-1928); City of Edmonton monthly Departmental reports and statistics (1927- April 1932); and City of Edmonton Engineering Department summary of revenue and expenditures (1923, 1925-1927). Note that duplicates of these reports are also found in RG-11 Series 10.2, with the monthly Departmental reports and statistics and Engineering Department summaries often attached as addendum to the Commissioner's reports

Archives Committee

This sub-series consists of one file created by Albert Edward Ottewell, Chairman, and one file created by Alfred Russell, Secretary. The files contain correspondence relating to the acquisition of information about establishing a civic archives committee, draft and final minutes, and reports.

The subseries contains the following two files:

  • File 1 - Chairman's Files (1938-1944)
  • File 2 - Secretary's Files (1938-1940)

Archives Committee

Recreation Facilities

This sub-series contains correspondence, reports, minutes, and other material relating to City recreation facilities. It also contains material from community organizations that worked closely with recreation facility staff.

Cemeteries

This sub-series consists of minutes, reports, correspondence, burial ledgers, monument and burial applications, agreements, and other records relating to the various functions performed by cemeteries operated by the City of Edmonton.

Most early cemeteries in Edmonton were private or created by religious organizations. It was not until 1914 that the City established Beechmount Cemetery as the first municipal graveyard. At this time there were three other private cemeteries operating within Edmonton's city limits, including Edmonton Cemetery, Mount Pleasant Cemetery, and Little Mountain Cemetery.

The Edmonton Cemetery Company was formed in 1886 and received a charter in the same year. It was a limited stock company with no dividends issued to stockholders. The Board of Directors consisted of many of the city's prominent men including Matt McCauley, Alex Taylor, George D. K. Kinnaird. The company acquired land from the Hudson's Bay reserve and established the grave yard south of 107th Avenue between 117th and 119th Streets. Later acquisitions expanded the grounds west and northward. In 1922 a large expansion to the west included a large reserve for a military field of honor around a Cross of Sacrifice, similar to those found in Europe, erected by the Veterans War Graves Commission. In 1932 a neo-classical Mausoleum was built on the north side of 107th Avenue. By the 1960s issues of financial viability and the need for perpetual care prompted the company to initiate negotiations to surrender their charter to the city. The transfer occurred in 1965.

Mount Pleasant Cemetery was a private burial ground in Strathcona. The first burials were in the 1890s, with the earliest marker showing 1893. The Strathcona Cemetery Company formed in 1900 to administer the cemetery. The City of Edmonton took over operation of this cemetery in 1941.

Little Mountain Cemetery was formed in 1895 as a church graveyard. Land was donated to Little Mountain Cemetery Company in 1900 and it became a public burial ground. After decades of financial struggle, the records were transferred to the City in 1981, and the City took the cemetery over in 1985.

As time progressed the City required more land for cemeteries. In 1972 the City purchased land off St. Albert Trail north of 137 Avenue. It was officially named Sturgeon Heights Memorial Park in 1986, then renamed Northern Lights Memorial Park in 1987. The first burial there occurred in 1989. In 1985 a piece of City owned land was chosen for the site of a future cemetery. It was officially named South Haven Cemetery in 1987 and opened the following year.

The most recent cemetery to come under the City's control is Clover Bar Cemetery, which was established in 1901 behind the Clover Bar Church. Homesteader W.H. Wilkinson donated his land for the cemetery and he and nine other local residents formed a cemetery company. The City of Edmonton took over the running of this cemetery in 1995.

The Health Department was responsible for cemetery operations from 1914 until 1929, at which time responsibility was transferred to the Engineering Department. In 1947 the newly created Parks Department took control. The Parks Department evolved to become the Parks and Recreation Department in 1962, and later the Community Services Department in 1997.

Golf Courses

The Edmonton Golf Club opened in 1907 with five holes. The City purchased the land (then known as the Golf Links) in 1912 from the Hudson's Bay Company, and began operating the course as a municipal enterprise - the first municipal golf course in Canada. The Golf Links was renamed Victoria Park and dedicated to public use in 1914. The course expanded in the 1920s from 9 holes to 18, and by 1951 the course offered 27 holes, though by 1954 it had reverted to 18 holes when the City needed some of the land for the Groat Bridge. In 1957 the name was officially changed to the Victoria Golf Course. The Victoria Driving Range opened in 1961.

In 1949 work began on a new municipal golf course. Riverside Golf Course opened in 1951 on the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River just north of the Dawson Bridge. Rundle Park Golf Course became the City’s third course when it opened in 1976.

The subseries consists of correspondence and financial records relating to golf courses operated by the City of Edmonton. The subseries contains the following files:

  • File 1: Golf Courses - Correspondence (February - December 1962)
  • File 2: Golf: Master Plan - Correspondence (June 1968 - January 1969)
  • File 3: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1952-1967)
  • File 4: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1968-1978)
  • File 5: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1961-1970)
  • File 6: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1970-1972)
  • File 7: Riverside Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1980-1981)

Routine Orders

This sub-series contains records relating to routine orders from the Edmonton Ambulance Authority. This sub-series contains the following files:

  • File 1: Routine Orders (1988)
  • File 2: Routine Orders (1989)
  • File 3: Routine Orders (1990-1992)
  • File 4: Routine Orders (1993)

Archives and Landmarks Committee

This sub-series consists of:

  1. Minutes, 1947, 1957-1966. [files 1-8]

  2. General correspondence files, 1947-1968. These files appear to have been predominantly created by the committee secretaries Margaret Williams (1947-1956) and Garnet Kyle (1957-1962) and may have been continued by M. Gertrude Ragan (1962-1966). [files 9-33]

  3. Topical files, 1930-1970. The contents of these files appear to have been created primarily by Garnet Kyle and M. Gertrude Ragan, committee secretaries. The series may have been created by M. Gertrude Ragan. [files 34-107]

  4. Files found in the collection and repatriated to this subseries. [files 108-118]

  5. Scrapbook, 1951-1966. The contents relate to the activities of the Committee. [file 112]

Archives and Landmarks Committee

City clippings files

This sub-series consists of over 2000 clippings files related to business units in the City of Edmonton. It also includes files on municipal elections, mayors and council, City facilities and parks, roads, utilities, unions, awards, programs and services, and neighbourhoods.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 21