This sub-series contains records created in the planning and operation of Fort Edmonton Park. The material includes research, reports, proposals, and planning documents.
The sub-series also includes photographs taken of Fort Edmonton Park, John Walter Museum, the Historical Exhibits Building, the Cromdale Warehouse (former Cromdale Bus Barns), the Nature Centre, the C.W. Cross Residence at 12729 Stony Plain Road, the McCauley House at 10042 92 Street, general shots of Riverdale and the Edmonton skyline, and an interior photo of the Ukrainian Bookstore.
This sub-series consists of records created by the Edmonton Historical Board and includes photos taken at awards ceremonies (1975-1986), plaque unveilings (1982-1985), photos taken for the 1982 book Edmonton’s Threatened Heritage, and photos taken of EHB plaques and the buildings they are affixed to between 2006 and 2011. This subseries also contains a copy of every recognition award the Board handed out from 1975 to 2017.
EHB awards nights
1975 (EA-258-1 to 20)
1978 (EA-20-5507 to 5519)
1981 (EA-20-7226 to 7245)
1982 (EA-20-7205 to 7219)
1983 (EA-20-7248 to 7263)
1985 (EA-20-7314 to 7329)
1986 (EA-20-7355 to 7396)
Alex Taylor School and Transit Hotel, 1981 (EA-20-7185 to 7204)
Cairn at The Hermitage, 1983 (EA-20-7246 to 7247)
Reed’s China and Gift Shop [?], 1985 (EA-20-7330 to 7334)
Photos for Edmonton’s Threatened Heritage, 1980 (EA-20-7220 to 7225)
Photos of book launch for Gateway to the North, 1984 EA-20-7298 to EA-20-7313
Photos of buildings and plaques, 2006-2011 EA-792-1 to EA-792-517
The Edmonton Golf Club opened in 1907 with five holes. The City purchased the land (then known as the Golf Links) in 1912 from the Hudson's Bay Company, and began operating the course as a municipal enterprise - the first municipal golf course in Canada. The Golf Links was renamed Victoria Park and dedicated to public use in 1914. The course expanded in the 1920s from 9 holes to 18, and by 1951 the course offered 27 holes, though by 1954 it had reverted to 18 holes when the City needed some of the land for the Groat Bridge. In 1957 the name was officially changed to the Victoria Golf Course. The Victoria Driving Range opened in 1961.
In 1949 work began on a new municipal golf course. Riverside Golf Course opened in 1951 on the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River just north of the Dawson Bridge. Rundle Park Golf Course became the City’s third course when it opened in 1976.
The subseries consists of correspondence and financial records relating to golf courses operated by the City of Edmonton. The subseries contains the following files:
File 1: Golf Courses - Correspondence (February - December 1962)
File 2: Golf: Master Plan - Correspondence (June 1968 - January 1969)
File 3: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1952-1967)
File 4: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1968-1978)
File 5: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1961-1970)
File 6: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1970-1972)
This sub-series consists of records relating to the provision, operation and maintenance of green space for Edmontonians such as parks, ravines and forestry, cemeteries, playgrounds, golf courses, and playing fields and the river valley. It includes subjects such as concessions, horticulture, boulevards, and weed and pest control. The records include surveys, reports, and studies relating to City lands.
This sub-series contains correspondence, reports, minutes, and other material relating to City recreation facilities. It also contains material from community organizations that worked closely with recreation facility staff.
This sub-series consists of one file created by Albert Edward Ottewell, Chairman, and one file created by Alfred Russell, Secretary. The files contain correspondence relating to the acquisition of information about establishing a civic archives committee, draft and final minutes, and reports.
This sub-series contains operational reports on major incidents responded to by the Edmonton Ambulance Authority, including the roller coaster accident at West Edmonton Mall, the Namao air crash, the Hinton train collision, and incidents at a Platinum Blonde concert and the Edmonton maximum security penitentiary.
This sub-series contains records relating to the visit of Pope John Paul II to Edmonton in 1984. The records include planning documents from the Edmonton Ambulance Authority, as well as photographs of the event.
The files in Sub-series 10.1 consist of an accounts ledger (1909-1920); Commissioner's reports to City Council (1923-1928); City of Edmonton monthly Departmental reports and statistics (1927- April 1932); and City of Edmonton Engineering Department summary of revenue and expenditures (1923, 1925-1927). Note that duplicates of these reports are also found in RG-11 Series 10.2, with the monthly Departmental reports and statistics and Engineering Department summaries often attached as addendum to the Commissioner's reports