Showing 12 results

Archivistische beschrijving
City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds Deelreeks
Print preview View:

10 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Fort Edmonton Park

This sub-series contains records created in the planning and operation of Fort Edmonton Park. The material includes research, reports, proposals, and planning documents.

The sub-series also includes photographs taken of Fort Edmonton Park, John Walter Museum, the Historical Exhibits Building, the Cromdale Warehouse (former Cromdale Bus Barns), the Nature Centre, the C.W. Cross Residence at 12729 Stony Plain Road, the McCauley House at 10042 92 Street, general shots of Riverdale and the Edmonton skyline, and an interior photo of the Ukrainian Bookstore.

Fort Edmonton Park

Edmonton Historical Board

This sub-series consists of records created by the Edmonton Historical Board and includes photos taken at awards ceremonies (1975-1986), plaque unveilings (1982-1985), photos taken for the 1982 book Edmonton’s Threatened Heritage, and photos taken of EHB plaques and the buildings they are affixed to between 2006 and 2011. This subseries also contains a copy of every recognition award the Board handed out from 1975 to 2017.

EHB awards nights

  • 1975 (EA-258-1 to 20)
  • 1978 (EA-20-5507 to 5519)
  • 1981 (EA-20-7226 to 7245)
  • 1982 (EA-20-7205 to 7219)
  • 1983 (EA-20-7248 to 7263)
  • 1985 (EA-20-7314 to 7329)
  • 1986 (EA-20-7355 to 7396)

Plaque unveilings:

  • Alex Taylor School and Transit Hotel, 1981 (EA-20-7185 to 7204)
  • Cairn at The Hermitage, 1983 (EA-20-7246 to 7247)
  • Reed’s China and Gift Shop [?], 1985 (EA-20-7330 to 7334)

Photos for Edmonton’s Threatened Heritage, 1980
(EA-20-7220 to 7225)

Photos of book launch for Gateway to the North, 1984
EA-20-7298 to EA-20-7313

Photos of buildings and plaques, 2006-2011
EA-792-1 to EA-792-517

Edmonton Historical Board

Golf Courses

The Edmonton Golf Club opened in 1907 with five holes. The City purchased the land (then known as the Golf Links) in 1912 from the Hudson's Bay Company, and began operating the course as a municipal enterprise - the first municipal golf course in Canada. The Golf Links was renamed Victoria Park and dedicated to public use in 1914. The course expanded in the 1920s from 9 holes to 18, and by 1951 the course offered 27 holes, though by 1954 it had reverted to 18 holes when the City needed some of the land for the Groat Bridge. In 1957 the name was officially changed to the Victoria Golf Course. The Victoria Driving Range opened in 1961.

In 1949 work began on a new municipal golf course. Riverside Golf Course opened in 1951 on the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River just north of the Dawson Bridge. Rundle Park Golf Course became the City’s third course when it opened in 1976.

The subseries consists of correspondence and financial records relating to golf courses operated by the City of Edmonton. The subseries contains the following files:

  • File 1: Golf Courses - Correspondence (February - December 1962)
  • File 2: Golf: Master Plan - Correspondence (June 1968 - January 1969)
  • File 3: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1952-1967)
  • File 4: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1968-1978)
  • File 5: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1961-1970)
  • File 6: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1970-1972)
  • File 7: Riverside Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1980-1981)

Parks Administration

This sub-series consists of records relating to the provision, operation and maintenance of green space for Edmontonians such as parks, ravines and forestry, cemeteries, playgrounds, golf courses, and playing fields and the river valley. It includes subjects such as concessions, horticulture, boulevards, and weed and pest control. The records include surveys, reports, and studies relating to City lands.

Recreation Facilities

This sub-series contains correspondence, reports, minutes, and other material relating to City recreation facilities. It also contains material from community organizations that worked closely with recreation facility staff.

Archives Committee

This sub-series consists of one file created by Albert Edward Ottewell, Chairman, and one file created by Alfred Russell, Secretary. The files contain correspondence relating to the acquisition of information about establishing a civic archives committee, draft and final minutes, and reports.

The subseries contains the following two files:

  • File 1 - Chairman's Files (1938-1944)
  • File 2 - Secretary's Files (1938-1940)

Archives Committee

Universiade '83

The Parks and Recreation Department was very involved in the 1983 World University Games. The Department worked in conjunction with the Federation Internationale du Sportif Universitaire to schedule and prepare facilities for the games. The City of Edmonton also appointed an International Events Coordinator to deal almost exclusively with Universiade '83. The role of the Parks and Recreation Department also included finance and budgeting, transportation, and media and public relations.

This subseries includes administrative records including correspondence, reports, and minutes of committee meetings from the Universiade '83 Corporation and the City of Edmonton Parks and Recreation Department relating to the bid to host the 1983 World University Games and the subsequent organization of the event. There are also records relating to the organization and construction of facilities for Universiade '83, as well as correspondence, brochures, and programs from other major sporting events held in Edmonton and their relationship to Universiade '83. There are also bulletins, notices, and minutes of meetings from the Federation Internationale du Sportif Universitaire, and press clippings and media releases relating to Universiade '83.

Valley Zoo

This sub-series contains records created in the planning and operation of the Storyland Valley Zoo. The material includes correspondence as well as records relating to administration, strategic planning, facility and exhibit development, animal acquisition and care, programming, finances, personnel, external organizations, and media coverage.

The sub-series includes photographs of animals and zoo facilities around 1970 (EA-20-623 to EA-20-633), as well as postcards of Edmonton and photos of Fort Edmonton Park (EA-20-635 to EA-20-641), and historic photographs of the construction of the High Level Bridge, Fort Edmonton, the Legislature, and the Edmonton Ski Club (EA-20-642 to EA-20-645). The subseries also includes a set of postcards depicting the Valley Zoo from ca. 1970 (EA-20-5471 to EA-20-5500).

The file list was arranged by type of record.

Edmonton Valley Zoo

Archives and Landmarks Committee

This sub-series consists of:

  1. Minutes, 1947, 1957-1966. [files 1-8]

  2. General correspondence files, 1947-1968. These files appear to have been predominantly created by the committee secretaries Margaret Williams (1947-1956) and Garnet Kyle (1957-1962) and may have been continued by M. Gertrude Ragan (1962-1966). [files 9-33]

  3. Topical files, 1930-1970. The contents of these files appear to have been created primarily by Garnet Kyle and M. Gertrude Ragan, committee secretaries. The series may have been created by M. Gertrude Ragan. [files 34-107]

  4. Files found in the collection and repatriated to this subseries. [files 108-118]

  5. Scrapbook, 1951-1966. The contents relate to the activities of the Committee. [file 112]

Archives and Landmarks Committee

Muttart Conservatory

Established in 1976, the Muttart Conservatory is a botanical garden owned and operated by the City of Edmonton. This subseries contains project files and meeting minutes created by staff at the Muttart Conservatory through the course of caring for the facility and providing programming for the public.

Resultaten 1 tot 10 van 12