This series includes material created at City Hall for ceremonial purposes, such as guest books; material relating to the City’s corporate identity such as flags, a tartan, and a City crest; and documents meant to raise awareness such as proclamations. It also includes discrete items relating to specific special events.
The material in this series is not part of a particular business unit, function, or Committee for which we have records. Since nothing else exists at present to contextualize the material, it has been described as a series of discrete items.
This series includes material created by the Special Events Office, a centralized body created in the early 1980s to administer significant civic events. This was a departure from previous special events, which were arranged by organizing committees. The events reflected in these records include the openings of Police Headquarters and the new Convention Centre, the City’s 80th anniversary celebrations, the visit of Pope John Paul II, the military tattoo which resulted in the creation of the Mayors Chain of Office, and the Tribach Festival. The records also include material relating to the replacement of the Commission Board with the Office of the City Manager.
This series consists of records related to the proposed privatization of ED Tel in 1994. The records include correspondence, a memorandum, presentations, proposals, and notes relating to different options. The material was used by Allan Bolstad in his capacity as a City Councillor.
The Edmonton Telephones Corporation (ED Tel) was created in 1990 as a result of the provincial Telecommunications Act, which allowed municipalities to provide telecommunications services and products through a wholly-owned subsidiary corporation, but not through a City department. In early 1994 the outgoing ED Tel President publicly raised the idea of selling the utility. Ultimately the Edmonton Telephones Corporation was sold to Telus on March 10, 1995 for $470,221,872.
The collection consists of newspapers and a booklet focusing on Edmonton and Athabasca Landing. There are also photographs of the Edmonton Meat Market, Chave & Co. in St. Albert and Athabasca Landing. Item List:
newspaper reproduction of The Edmonton Bulletin, Vol. 1., No. 15, March 14, 1881
The fonds consists of greeting cards and other memorabilia belonging to Gertrude Lake. There is also a photograph of a 1914 Ladies basketball team, with a basketball lettered “A.G.T. L.D.O” and 2 travel photographs. File List:
Greetings cards (includes ‘Maple Leaf Forever’; Smile Messenger postcards, and advertisement card ‘Klever Kard’ for Ki-Moids for Indigestion)
Valentine’s Day cards
Christmas Cards (includes Christmas cards sent by Gertrude Doughty)
New Years Cards
Baby cards (includes a Baby Book from the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company)
Calendars (miniature) – 1922, 1926 (with photo of child)
Paper cutouts (used to decorate cards or gifts)
Travel postcards and booklets (Kingston, Ont.; Seattle, Washington; Venice, California) and travel prints (Peace Tower, Ottawa; Bob’s Lake, Ontario; Athabasca Falls,
Booklet – AGT “The Silent Partner” Vol. VIII, No. 4, October 1927; paper print of Aladdin Home ‘The Lockwood’
The collection consists of a copy of the Edmonton Bulletin, No. 1, November 2, 1889 and 1970 newspaper clipping from the Sarnia Observer noting the Edmonton Bulletin, first issued December 6, 1880, as the first newspaper in Alberta.
The photographs include images of Indigenous peoples and one image of the Daily (Edmonton) Bulletin building.