Print preview Close

Showing 11 results

Archival description
10 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Financial
CA EDM MS-404-2 · Series · 1966 - 1996
Part of Garneau Community League fonds

This series consists of financial records from the Garneau Community League as well as its associated clubs and committees. Records include financial statements, ledgers, budgets, correspondence, and agreements.

Garneau Community League
Tennis Club
CA EDM MS-404-5 · Series · 1963 - 1985
Part of Garneau Community League fonds

This series consists of records concerning the operations and functions of the Garneau Tennis Club. The Tennis Club was one of the five original committees when the Garneau Community League was incorporated in 1962. Like the Lawn Bowling Club, the Tennis Club held a degree of independence from the rest of the Garneau Community League. That independence was somewhat curtailed in the late 1970s due to a change in Provincial Law regarding the way financial reporting was to be conducted. This series contains membership lists, financial statements, newsletters, correspondence, and minutes.

Garneau Community League
Lawn Bowling Club
CA EDM MS-404-6 · Series · 1956 - 1983
Part of Garneau Community League fonds

This series contains materials concerning the operations and functions of the Garneau Lawn Bowling Club. The club was officially founded in 1955. The Lawn Bowling Club was one of the five original committees when the Garneau Community League was incorporated in 1962. The Lawn Bowling Club, like the Tennis Club, held a degree of independence from the Community League until the late 1970s due to a change in Provincial Law regarding the way financial reporting was to be conducted. The Club was divided into two clubs: Men’s Lawn Bowling and Ladies Lawn Bowling. The Men’s Lawn Bowling Club concluded operations in 1983 while the Ladies Lawn Bowling Club continued. The reason for the closure of the men's club was dwindling membership due to the construction of superior lawn bowling greens at the Commonwealth Lawn Bowling Club following the 1978 Commonwealth Games. The rest of the lawn bowling club ended in 1990 due to insufficient funds to maintain the greens. Some of the remaining club members joined the Royal Lawn Bowling Club. When Catalyst Theatre began its lease of the Community Centre, the greens were converted into sand volleyball courts. This series consists of financial statements, a ledger, correspondence, club minutes, photographs, badges, pins, and a championship flag.

Garneau Community League
Photographs
CA EDM MS-404-9 · Series · 1950 - 1984
Part of Garneau Community League fonds

This series contains photographs that were likely taken for the Garneau Guardian newspaper. Some of the images can be found in the issues of the newspaper. The photographs feature pictures of events and developments around the neighbourhood as well as activities and programs put on by the Community League.

Garneau Community League
Administration
CA EDM MS-404-1 · Series · 1907 - 2000
Part of Garneau Community League fonds

This series consists of records related to the operational functions of the Garneau Community League. At the head of the community league was the executive committee which was elected by the registered members of the community league. The manager of the Garneau Community Centre reported to the executive committee along with the heads of the various sub-committees and clubs such as the Planning Committee and the Tennis and Lawn Bowling clubs. The executive committee was responsible for many of the initiatives undertaken by the League such as the Street Signs Project and organizing the programs that took place at the Centre. This series contains minutes, reports, correspondence, grant applications, contracts, newsletters, and programmes. These records provide context for the Community League’s role within the community and within Edmonton as a city. Also included are documents concerning leasing of the Garneau Community Centre to Catalyst Theatre.

Garneau Community League
Casino / Bingo
CA EDM MS-404-3 · Series · 1972 - 1986
Part of Garneau Community League fonds

This series contains material related to the Garneau Community League’s involvement with casino and bingo events. The Community League, as a registered charitable organization, was eligible to participate in Alberta’s “Charitable Gaming Model” which allows charitable organizations and religious organizations to conduct and manage casino and bingo events. The profits derived from these events go towards funding the League’s service delivery. It was with the proceeds that the League funded building the Garneau Community Centre. These records include licenses, volunteer lists, financial reports, minutes, and correspondence. Also included are materials related to the South Edmonton Bingo Association.

Garneau Community League
Publications
CA EDM MS-404-10 · Series · 1978 - 1985
Part of Garneau Community League fonds

This series contains newsletters and newspapers created by various community organizations throughout Edmonton. These include materials by groups such as the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues, the McKernan Community League, and others.

Garneau Community League
Garneau Community Centre
CA EDM MS-404-4 · Series · 1971 - 1986
Part of Garneau Community League fonds

This series contains material relating to the planning, funding, and construction of the Garneau Community Centre (now City Arts Centre) in 1980. The Centre was designed by Thorkelsson Architects and managed by Wilkinson Construction. Many different contractors were involved as well. In 1990, the Centre was leased to Catalyst Theatre and other tenants. In 1997 the City of Edmonton took control of the building as the new site of the City Arts Centre. Records include maps, plans, minutes, budgets, financial reports, correspondence, progress reports, and contracts.

Garneau Community League
Garneau Planning Committee
CA EDM MS-404-7 · Series · 1974 - 2020
Part of Garneau Community League fonds

This series contains material relating to the operations and activities of the Garneau Planning Committee. Founded in 1975, the Planning Committee was concerned with urban planning and development in the Garneau neighbourhood. The Committee successfully fought against several high-rise developments in the area. The Committee also communicated with various City of Edmonton departments regarding topics such as zoning, parking, infrastructure, and expansion of the University of Alberta. The committee was also heavily interested in maintaining the historic character of the Garneau neighbourhood. Records include minutes, correspondence, redevelopment plans, reports, court appeals, site plans, research material, and legal documents. Also included are some material relating to the Community League proper such as minutes and correspondence.

Garneau Community League
Garneau Guardian
CA EDM MS-404-8 · Series · 1979 - 1985
Part of Garneau Community League fonds

This series contains material relating to the Garneau Guardian which was a community newspaper published by the Garneau Community League from 1979 to 1984. The Guardian reported on many activities within the Garneau neighbourhood and particularly on the activities of the Community League itself. It was distributed to subscribers within the Garneau neighbourhood and sold advertising space to various businesses from across the city. The newspaper closed after the editor moved away and no suitable replacement could step up. The records include newspaper issues, draft articles, publication notes, financial statements, correspondence, and photographs.

Garneau Community League