Print preview Close

Showing 11 results

Archival description
City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds Sports, recreation and leisure
Print preview View:

6 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Fort Edmonton Park

This sub-series contains records created in the planning and operation of Fort Edmonton Park. The material includes research, reports, proposals, and planning documents.

The sub-series also includes photographs taken of Fort Edmonton Park, John Walter Museum, the Historical Exhibits Building, the Cromdale Warehouse (former Cromdale Bus Barns), the Nature Centre, the C.W. Cross Residence at 12729 Stony Plain Road, the McCauley House at 10042 92 Street, general shots of Riverdale and the Edmonton skyline, and an interior photo of the Ukrainian Bookstore.

Fort Edmonton Park

Photographs

This series consists of photographs documenting the work of the Parks and Recreation Department. Photos numbered EA-20 include images of civic properties, leisure programs, special events, sports, green spaces such as boulevards and parks, and City staff. It also includes a photographic inventory of several thousand images of schools, community halls, playgrounds, pools, parks, and facilities from around 1968. Photos numbered ET-28 were created as a slide library to be used by staff in presentations.

Parks

The Parks and Recreation Department was responsible for all City-owned recreational facilities and lands, including green spaces such as cemeteries and golf courses.

This series contains the following sub-series:

  • Subseries 3.1: Cemeteries
  • Subseries 3.2: Golf Courses
  • Subseries 3.3: Parks Administration

Golf Courses

The Edmonton Golf Club opened in 1907 with five holes. The City purchased the land (then known as the Golf Links) in 1912 from the Hudson's Bay Company, and began operating the course as a municipal enterprise - the first municipal golf course in Canada. The Golf Links was renamed Victoria Park and dedicated to public use in 1914. The course expanded in the 1920s from 9 holes to 18, and by 1951 the course offered 27 holes, though by 1954 it had reverted to 18 holes when the City needed some of the land for the Groat Bridge. In 1957 the name was officially changed to the Victoria Golf Course. The Victoria Driving Range opened in 1961.

In 1949 work began on a new municipal golf course. Riverside Golf Course opened in 1951 on the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River just north of the Dawson Bridge. Rundle Park Golf Course became the City’s third course when it opened in 1976.

The subseries consists of correspondence and financial records relating to golf courses operated by the City of Edmonton. The subseries contains the following files:

  • File 1: Golf Courses - Correspondence (February - December 1962)
  • File 2: Golf: Master Plan - Correspondence (June 1968 - January 1969)
  • File 3: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1952-1967)
  • File 4: Victoria Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1968-1978)
  • File 5: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1961-1970)
  • File 6: Victoria Driving Range Cash Book (1970-1972)
  • File 7: Riverside Golf Course Statistical Revenue Ledger (1980-1981)

Recreation Facilities

This sub-series contains correspondence, reports, minutes, and other material relating to City recreation facilities. It also contains material from community organizations that worked closely with recreation facility staff.

Universiade '83

The Parks and Recreation Department was very involved in the 1983 World University Games. The Department worked in conjunction with the Federation Internationale du Sportif Universitaire to schedule and prepare facilities for the games. The City of Edmonton also appointed an International Events Coordinator to deal almost exclusively with Universiade '83. The role of the Parks and Recreation Department also included finance and budgeting, transportation, and media and public relations.

This subseries includes administrative records including correspondence, reports, and minutes of committee meetings from the Universiade '83 Corporation and the City of Edmonton Parks and Recreation Department relating to the bid to host the 1983 World University Games and the subsequent organization of the event. There are also records relating to the organization and construction of facilities for Universiade '83, as well as correspondence, brochures, and programs from other major sporting events held in Edmonton and their relationship to Universiade '83. There are also bulletins, notices, and minutes of meetings from the Federation Internationale du Sportif Universitaire, and press clippings and media releases relating to Universiade '83.

Agencies and External Community Groups

This series consists of records relating to external agencies that have regular dealings with the City of Edmonton in its capacity to provide a safe, healthy and vibrant city, including Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues, School Boards, sports organizations and other community organizations. These organizations may use City facilities to provide programs for recreation, sports, arts, culture, and education.

This series contains the following subseries:

  • Subseries 5.1: Community Leagues
  • Subseries 5.2: Sports and Recreational Organizations

Facilities

This series consists of records relating to the erection, operation and maintenance of sports, athletic, recreation and leisure facilities, pools and arenas. It contains records relating to organizations and facilities providing sports and recreation opportunities, including special events (like the Universiade Games in 1983) and festivals, for the citizens of Edmonton. It includes specialty and educational attractions such as the zoos, Fort Edmonton Park, John Janzen Nature Centre, the Queen Elizabeth Planetarium, the Edmonton Science Centre, and the Muttart Conservatory, and includes the programming aspects of animating those facilities.

This series contains the following sub-series:

  • Subseries 4.1: Recreation Facilities
  • Subseries 4.2: Valley Zoo
  • Subseries 4.3: Fort Edmonton Park
  • Subseries 4.4: Universiade ‘83
  • Subseries 4.5: Muttart Conservatory

Valley Zoo

This sub-series contains records created in the planning and operation of the Storyland Valley Zoo. The material includes correspondence as well as records relating to administration, strategic planning, facility and exhibit development, animal acquisition and care, programming, finances, personnel, external organizations, and media coverage.

The sub-series includes photographs of animals and zoo facilities around 1970 (EA-20-623 to EA-20-633), as well as postcards of Edmonton and photos of Fort Edmonton Park (EA-20-635 to EA-20-641), and historic photographs of the construction of the High Level Bridge, Fort Edmonton, the Legislature, and the Edmonton Ski Club (EA-20-642 to EA-20-645). The subseries also includes a set of postcards depicting the Valley Zoo from ca. 1970 (EA-20-5471 to EA-20-5500).

The file list was arranged by type of record.

Edmonton Valley Zoo

City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds

  • CA EDM RG-21
  • Fonds
  • [ca.1828]-2017, predominant 1959 - 2000

This fonds consists of minutes, reports, correspondence, ledgers, and other records relating to the various functions performed by the Parks and Recreation Department and its successors.

An order has been imposed on the material. The arrangement includes 6 series and multiple sub-series. The series are as follows:

  • Series 1: Administration
  • Series 2: Heritage
  • Series 3: Parks
  • Series 4: Facilities
  • Series 5: Agencies and External Community Groups
  • Series 6: Photographs

City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department

Results 1 to 10 of 11