Imprimir vista previa Cerrar

Mostrando 4357 resultados

Descripción archivística
City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds
Imprimir vista previa Ver :

4350 resultados con objetos digitales Muestra los resultados con objetos digitales

Lester Allyn House

9932 - 112 Street. This house was built in 1907 by Lester Allyn, an Edmonton building contractor. Allyn also built several other houses in the immediate area to take advantage of the booming market for housing in the new provincial capital. This house was used by Allyn as his own home until 1911. The next resident of the house was Frank Ford, a lawyer who later became Chancellor of the University of Alberta and a justice of the Supreme Court of Alberta. The house was also home to Arthur Dodman, general manager of the Hudson's Bay Company in Edmonton from 1915-17.
The main significance of the house, however, lies in its ties to the pre- 1912 residential housing boom in Edmonton. It is an excellent example of the kind of upper middle class housing built at the time. This is reflected in its location in then fashionable Oliver, the choice of brick as an exterior building material and the size and interior fittings of the house. By the 1920s and 1930s, this area was less fashionable and this is reflected in the home?s residents who included widows, clerks, a carpenter, a baker and a steamship company agent. The house also retains much of its original appearance and architectural details including two colours, a two storey bay window and decorative "piano" windows over the entrance hall.
This may be one of the most intact houses from the pre- First World War period left in Edmonton and serves as an excellent reminder of residential housing patterns and preferences in that period.

Lester Allyn House

9932 - 112 Street.
This house was built in 1907 by Lester Allyn, an Edmonton building contractor. Allyn also built several other houses in the immediate area to take advantage of the booming market for housing in the new provincial capital. This house was used by Allyn as his own home until 1911. The next resident of the house was Frank Ford, a lawyer who later became Chancellor of the University of Alberta and a justice of the Supreme Court of Alberta. The house was also home to Arthur Dodman, general manager of the Hudson's Bay Company in Edmonton from 1915-17.
The main significance of the house, however, lies in its ties to the pre- 1912 residential housing boom in Edmonton. It is an excellent example of the kind of upper middle class housing built at the time. This is reflected in its location in then fashionable Oliver, the choice of brick as an exterior building material and the size and interior fittings of the house. By the 1920s and 1930s, this area was less fashionable and this is reflected in the home?s residents who included widows, clerks, a carpenter, a baker and a steamship company agent. The house also retains much of its original appearance and architectural details including two colours, a two storey bay window and decorative "piano" windows over the entrance hall.
This may be one of the most intact houses from the pre- First World War period left in Edmonton and serves as an excellent reminder of residential housing patterns and preferences in that period.

Alex Taylor School - SW

9321 Jasper Avenue. This school is named to honour Alexander Taylor, Edmonton Pioneer and Chairman of the Edmonton Public School Board from 1899 to 1909. The cornerstone for the school was laid on August 30, 1907. The contractor was R.J. Manson, and Roland W. Lines was the architect. Over the decades the teaching staff have maintained the pioneer spirit of Alexander Taylor by introducing innovative programmes of study for its young students as well as for the adult population of Edmonton.

Alex Taylor School - SW

9321 Jasper Avenue. This school is named to honour Alexander Taylor, Edmonton Pioneer and Chairman of the Edmonton Public School Board from 1899 to 1909. The cornerstone for the school was laid on August 30, 1907. The contractor was R.J. Manson, and Roland W. Lines was the architect. Over the decades the teaching staff have maintained the pioneer spirit of Alexander Taylor by introducing innovative programmes of study for its young students as well as for the adult population of Edmonton.

Alex Taylor School - NW

9321 Jasper Avenue. This school is named to honour Alexander Taylor, Edmonton Pioneer and Chairman of the Edmonton Public School Board from 1899 to 1909. The cornerstone for the school was laid on August 30, 1907. The contractor was R.J. Manson, and Roland W. Lines was the architect. Over the decades the teaching staff have maintained the pioneer spirit of Alexander Taylor by introducing innovative programmes of study for its young students as well as for the adult population of Edmonton.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 4357