Affichage de 4357 résultats

Description archivistique
City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds
Options de recherche avancée
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

4350 résultats avec objets numériques Afficher les résultats avec des objets numériques

City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department fonds

  • CA EDM RG-21
  • Fonds
  • [ca.1828]-2017, predominant 1959 - 2000

This fonds consists of minutes, reports, correspondence, ledgers, and other records relating to the various functions performed by the Parks and Recreation Department and its successors.

An order has been imposed on the material. The arrangement includes 6 series and multiple sub-series. The series are as follows:

  • Series 1: Administration
  • Series 2: Heritage
  • Series 3: Parks
  • Series 4: Facilities
  • Series 5: Agencies and External Community Groups
  • Series 6: Photographs

City of Edmonton. Parks and Recreation Department

Administration

This series consists of administrative records such as minutes, correspondence, reports, administrative memos and directives, financial records (including grant programs), publicity and departmental scrapbooks, and personnel records.

This series contains the following sub series:

  • Subseries 1.1: Meeting Minutes
  • Subseries 1.2: Correspondence
  • Subseries 1.3: Reports
  • Subseries 1.4: Parks and Recreation Advisory Board
  • Subseries 1.5: Finance
  • Subseries 1.6: Media Coverage and Scrapbooks
  • Subseries 1.7: Personnel

Heritage

This series consists of records of the City of Edmonton’s heritage-related organizations.

This series contains the following sub-series:

  • Subseries 2.1: Archives Committee
  • Subseries 2.2: Archives and Landmarks Committee
  • Subseries 2.3: Edmonton Historical Board
  • Subseries 2.4: Archives

Archives Committee

This sub-series consists of one file created by Albert Edward Ottewell, Chairman, and one file created by Alfred Russell, Secretary. The files contain correspondence relating to the acquisition of information about establishing a civic archives committee, draft and final minutes, and reports.

The subseries contains the following two files:

  • File 1 - Chairman's Files (1938-1944)
  • File 2 - Secretary's Files (1938-1940)

Archives Committee

Archives and Landmarks Committee

This sub-series consists of:

  1. Minutes, 1947, 1957-1966. [files 1-8]

  2. General correspondence files, 1947-1968. These files appear to have been predominantly created by the committee secretaries Margaret Williams (1947-1956) and Garnet Kyle (1957-1962) and may have been continued by M. Gertrude Ragan (1962-1966). [files 9-33]

  3. Topical files, 1930-1970. The contents of these files appear to have been created primarily by Garnet Kyle and M. Gertrude Ragan, committee secretaries. The series may have been created by M. Gertrude Ragan. [files 34-107]

  4. Files found in the collection and repatriated to this subseries. [files 108-118]

  5. Scrapbook, 1951-1966. The contents relate to the activities of the Committee. [file 112]

Archives and Landmarks Committee

Edmonton Historical Board

This sub-series consists of records created by the Edmonton Historical Board and includes photos taken at awards ceremonies (1975-1986), plaque unveilings (1982-1985), photos taken for the 1982 book Edmonton’s Threatened Heritage, and photos taken of EHB plaques and the buildings they are affixed to between 2006 and 2011. This subseries also contains a copy of every recognition award the Board handed out from 1975 to 2017.

EHB awards nights

  • 1975 (EA-258-1 to 20)
  • 1978 (EA-20-5507 to 5519)
  • 1981 (EA-20-7226 to 7245)
  • 1982 (EA-20-7205 to 7219)
  • 1983 (EA-20-7248 to 7263)
  • 1985 (EA-20-7314 to 7329)
  • 1986 (EA-20-7355 to 7396)

Plaque unveilings:

  • Alex Taylor School and Transit Hotel, 1981 (EA-20-7185 to 7204)
  • Cairn at The Hermitage, 1983 (EA-20-7246 to 7247)
  • Reed’s China and Gift Shop [?], 1985 (EA-20-7330 to 7334)

Photos for Edmonton’s Threatened Heritage, 1980
(EA-20-7220 to 7225)

Photos of book launch for Gateway to the North, 1984
EA-20-7298 to EA-20-7313

Photos of buildings and plaques, 2006-2011
EA-792-1 to EA-792-517

Edmonton Historical Board

A. MacDonald Building

10128 - 105 Avenue. The A. Macdonald Building is historically significant for the role it played in the history of the storage and cartage of wholesale grocery goods in Edmonton from its beginnings up to the mid-twentieth century. Constructed in 1913-14, it was named for Alexander Macdonald, president of the A. Macdonald Company of Winnipeg, whose Edmonton branch became one of the three largest grocery suppliers in northern Alberta. The A. Macdonald Building has an historical association with four interrelated firms - the A. Macdonald Company, H.H. Cooper and Company, Macdonald-Cooper Ltd. and Macdonald's Consolidated Limited.

Lester Allyn House

9932 - 112 Street. This house was built in 1907 by Lester Allyn, an Edmonton building contractor. Allyn also built several other houses in the immediate area to take advantage of the booming market for housing in the new provincial capital. This house was used by Allyn as his own home until 1911. The next resident of the house was Frank Ford, a lawyer who later became Chancellor of the University of Alberta and a justice of the Supreme Court of Alberta. The house was also home to Arthur Dodman, general manager of the Hudson's Bay Company in Edmonton from 1915-17.
The main significance of the house, however, lies in its ties to the pre- 1912 residential housing boom in Edmonton. It is an excellent example of the kind of upper middle class housing built at the time. This is reflected in its location in then fashionable Oliver, the choice of brick as an exterior building material and the size and interior fittings of the house. By the 1920s and 1930s, this area was less fashionable and this is reflected in the home?s residents who included widows, clerks, a carpenter, a baker and a steamship company agent. The house also retains much of its original appearance and architectural details including two colours, a two storey bay window and decorative "piano" windows over the entrance hall.
This may be one of the most intact houses from the pre- First World War period left in Edmonton and serves as an excellent reminder of residential housing patterns and preferences in that period.

Christ Church Anglican - West corner

12116 - 102 Avenue.
Christ Church was designed by a parishioner, the architect William Blakey, and built in 1921 not far from the site of the original 1909 church. The Reverend Robert Jefferson, the Bishop of the Diocese of Ottawa from 1939-1955, was the first rector. On November 7, 1909, the Bishop of Calgary presided over the opening of the old church located 116 Street and 102 Avenue. The first service in the building was held on October 9, 1921, under the rectorship of the Reverend J.M. Comyn Ching.
This Tudor-style structure featuring uncovered Douglas Fir beams in a scissor construction in the interior, is modeled after the famous Tintern Abbey in Great Britain. The parish hall was added in 1925 and the rectory built in the 1930's. Stained glass windows have been generously donated over the years by parishioners, reflecting the reverence and esteem in which the church is held by its members.
Once on the outskirts of the city, Christ Church is now part of a large urban community. The character of the building exemplifies the spiritual vision of its congregation.

Christ Church Anglican - West

12116 - 102 Avenue.
Christ Church was designed by a parishioner, the architect William Blakey, and built in 1921 not far from the site of the original 1909 church. The Reverend Robert Jefferson, the Bishop of the Diocese of Ottawa from 1939-1955, was the first rector. On November 7, 1909, the Bishop of Calgary presided over the opening of the old church located 116 Street and 102 Avenue. The first service in the building was held on October 9, 1921, under the rectorship of the Reverend J.M. Comyn Ching.
This Tudor-style structure featuring uncovered Douglas Fir beams in a scissor construction in the interior, is modeled after the famous Tintern Abbey in Great Britain. The parish hall was added in 1925 and the rectory built in the 1930's. Stained glass windows have been generously donated over the years by parishioners, reflecting the reverence and esteem in which the church is held by its members.
Once on the outskirts of the city, Christ Church is now part of a large urban community. The character of the building exemplifies the spiritual vision of its congregation.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 4357